Margarita Shortbread Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been nibbling the dough--just waiting for 7 p.m. so I can use my oven during "off time" re: power rates. The dough is delicious, I hope the cookies are as tasty. The black pepper adds a nice touch as does the extra lime. I have a couple of secret ingredients as well.

Okay--I had to try these (meaning I couldn't wait for off-McGuinty time). I made them using a little "ice cream scoop" and flattened them using a glass dipped in flour. I baked them on a cookie sheet that I lined with parchement paper.

I brushed the tops with FRESH egg white to which I added 1 tsp tequilla. 1/2 of them were topped with pretzel salt, fresh ground pepper, and lime zest. The other half were just sprinkled with pretzel salt. Baked at 325 for 23 minutes. Opinion: yum-yum I liked the lime-pepper-salt combo more than just the salt.

Alix shared her Lemon Shortbread Cookie recipe, which I've followed to a "T". Below is how I interpreted Alix's recipe. For some reason, I wanted to start singing in Spanish.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 T corn starch
Juice from 2-1/2 limes (about 5 T)
1 tsp tequilla
2 tsp triple sec extract
freshly ground pepper
lime zest (one of the limes)

1 egg white
1 tsp tequilla
lime zest
sugar or pretzel salt
freshly ground black pepper

Pulse the butter and the sugar in the FP. Add the remaining ingredients, pulse until a ball forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1/2 hour.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325. Use a "wee" ice cream scoop or a 1/2 T measure. Flatten the "balls" using the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Brush with egg white + tequilla. Sprinkle with salt, freshy ground pepper, lime zest or sugar + lime zest. Bake for about 15-20 minutes at 325. They should be JUST a bit golden around the edges, be careful not to overbrown them.

My favorite is the lime zest-salt-pepper, the DH likes them straight with just egg wash and sugar. Definitely s/thing I'll make again. Thanks Alix for the inspiration!

Haven't made these yet. I think I might do my original recipe with just lime sub instead of lemon. I am taking some to work and don't want us smelling like margaritas when the boss comes in!

I might put these in the christmas rotation though. Thanks CWS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom