Nestle Cookies. help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leea246

Assistant Cook
I am having trouble with the cookie recipe on the Nestle chocolate chips bag.
I have tried it using the exact recipe, but they tasted flavorless, and they were puffy, and not gooey.
I have also tried to alter the the recipe but they turned too gooey and they were a little on the nutty side, even though I didn't put anything nutty in!
can anyone give me a good recipe or maybe a help me with this recipe?
:chef:

Hiya, leea, and welcome to the site.

That Nestle's recipe is pretty much TNT (tried and true), so I'm at a loss to 'splain what went wrong for you.

Could your oven temp control be off? Give us some more details and maybe we can help you troubleshoot this one.

I don't think my oven could be the problem because I don't think that the oven temp would effect the flavor.
I just don't know what to do! Because I am pretty decent at baking and I am a failure at this supposedly simple recipe.
I have asked several people who are good cooks what to do.
They said, Cut down the baking soda a little bit, add more brown sugar, and a little less flower.
I did this but they still taste weird. Like they are missing something, like they would taste horrible if I didn't put the chocolate chips in.

I don't have a bag of chips in the house at the moment to check the recipe, but less baking soda should reduce puffiness. Could you be using some old flour or something? Not sure about what's causing the nuttiness.

Somebody who's a better baker than me come help out please and ask the right questions.

You know what? I actually might be using old flower.
I don't know if that would cause much of a problem.

As chance would have it, I just made a batch of cookies yesterday on a slightly modified Nestle recipe that uses a little less butter and a little more vanilla. The dough seemed fine to me (tasted darn good too) but when they cooked they flattened out very quickly, leaving the chocolate chips unmelted, standing in a flat puddle of dough like some manner of delicious Stonehenge. As intriguing as the image was, I didn't care for it.

When in doubt, call Mom, which I did. She informed me that I had to refrigerate the dough first for an hour or two, then make the batter balls and cook them. Haven't tried yet, but I'm optimistic.

Try this one Leea. I only like gooey cookies myself.

I always cook them a minute or two under because I like them gooey.

3/4 crisco shortening {Do not use butter or margarine}
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 3/4 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375
Combine Crisco, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl until well blended.
Beat egg into mixture.
Combine in seperate bowl, flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into the creamed mixture.
Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes {I bake mine for about 7 minutes}

GarrettB said:
Just found this excellent link: http://www.well.com/user/vard/cookies.html

It discusses the how and why of the many modifications that can be applied to the standard Nestle recipe.

GREAT link!

I've been using the recipe on the bag since I was a little girl (over 40 years) and I do undercook them (about a minute, depending on what oven I'm using). Using excellent vanilla is key, and the idea of tripling it intrigues me.

I would like to try some of these other alterations!

Lee

As I play the flavors of Nestle's Toll House cookies through my mind, the main flavors are sugar, vanilla, dark chocolate and salt. The salt brings out the sweetness of the sugar and enhances the chocolate. The vanilla adds flavor depth. The flour acts as a vehicle to cary the other flavors, but has little flavor of its own. And of course the walnuts add there own distinctive flavor, which complements the vanilla.

That being said, you could substitute the shortening with unsalted butter to give the cookies a richer flavor. And as the baking soda realy doesn't cause these cookies to rise much, the fact that the butter melts faster shouldn't be a problem. Also, we double the amount of chocolate chips in when we make them in our home.

If you want gooey, as was stated above, undercook them by about a minute. Your nose will really tell you when they are done. When they smell like cookies, take them immediately out of the oven and place on paper towels to cool. If you cook them to the package directions, they will become crunchy, even though they seem soft when removed from the oven. They will also develop a "browned flour" flavor, which might be that nutty flavor you describe.

On the other side of the coin, if you substitute baking powder for the baking soda, the cookies will puff into a more cake-like texture. They will still be soft, but like a 'nilla wafer'.

I wouldn't play with the salt or sugar. Too much or to little salt creates a cullinary disaster. And the sugar adds body and flavor to the cookie. But I have made the more cake-like cookies using Splenda and they came out just fine.

For the gooey cookies, there is a very fine line between not well enough done, and just right. When done just right, they will still be shiny on top, but will have lost that liquid look. But remember, if they smell done, take 'em out.

Add an extra tsp. of vanilla if you have to, or more chocolate chips. And semi-sweet has more flavor than milk chocolate.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Follow this easy recipe (no one screws this up):
1: Get in your car and drive to Costco.
2: Buy Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies by Nestle.
3: Pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
4: Let cool for thirty minutes.
5: Tell everyone you made them from scratch.

Its the same recipe, sold by the hundreds in bulk at a conveniant low price.

I had the same puffy flavorless problem when I used the milk chocolate morsels. The nestle tollhouse recipe tastes best with semi-sweet morsels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom