Post your Biscotti Recipes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swifty

Assistant Cook
My parent's own a store and two of our workers who have been with us for 5 years are leaving for university now. I want to give them gifts so I decided that a wrapped mug with biscotti in it would be nice. Right now I only have one recipe that's still in the testing(Cinnamon Vanilla Pecan Biscotti). It would be fantastic if everyone could post there favourite tried-and-true biscotti recipes.

Thanks a million.

I made these last x-mas for gifts and they were a huge hit! For the chocoholics, I dipped them in semi-sweet chocolate. Hope this is helpful!

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
1 1/3 dried cranberries (¼ lb)
2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon salt
3 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup salted shell pistachios
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon milk
1. Soak cranberries in boiling hot water to cover in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to
325°F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder in a large bowl, with an electric mixer at moderate speed until combined well. Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until a dough forms. Add cranberries and pistachios and mix at low speed.
4. Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead several times. Halve dough, then form each half into a 13-by-2 inch slightly flattened log on baking sheet, using floured hands and spacing logs about 3 inches apart. Brush logs with egg wash.
5. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut diagonally into ½-inch slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, a cut side down, in 1 layer on baking sheet (don’t worry if slices touch each other). Bake in middle of oven turning once, until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes total.
Biscotti keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks

corazon90 said:
I made these last x-mas for gifts and they were a huge hit! For the chocoholics, I dipped them in semi-sweet chocolate. Hope this is helpful!

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
1 1/3 dried cranberries (¼ lb)
2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon salt
3 large eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup salted shell pistachios
1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon milk
1. Soak cranberries in boiling hot water to cover in a small bowl until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, then pat dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to
325°F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet, knocking off excess flour.
3. Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder in a large bowl, with an electric mixer at moderate speed until combined well. Add eggs and vanilla and beat just until a dough forms. Add cranberries and pistachios and mix at low speed.
4. Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface and knead several times. Halve dough, then form each half into a 13-by-2 inch slightly flattened log on baking sheet, using floured hands and spacing logs about 3 inches apart. Brush logs with egg wash.
5. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut diagonally into ½-inch slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, a cut side down, in 1 layer on baking sheet (don’t worry if slices touch each other). Bake in middle of oven turning once, until golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes total.
Biscotti keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks

Those sound great!! I'll give those a try tomorrow along with a couple of my other choices; I'm also experimenting with a Honey Almond Biscotti and Banana Bread Biscotti.
But I was just wondering, don't biscottis usually require a little bit of butter? Your recipe has none

Hope this isn't too late...
Blueberry Biscotti
Ingredients:
1 package(18.25 - 18.9 ounce)blueberry muffin mix w/can of blueberries
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup(1 stick butter), melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups(12 ounce package)white morsels, divided

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheets. Drain blueberries; set aside.
Combine muffin mix, flour, butter and eggs just until combined in large bowl. Fold in 1 1/2 cups morsels and drained blueberries with floured hands. Shape half of the dough into a 12" long roll(dough may be sticky). Place on prepped sheet; flatten slightly until about 2" wide. Repeat with remaining dough.
Bake about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers come out clean. Cool on baking sheets on wire rack for 1 hour.
Cut each roll diagonally into 3/4" slices with serrated knife. Place slices, cut sides down, on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 6-8 minutes more or until light brown(do not overbake). Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely.
Place remaining morsels in small, heavy-duty plastic bag. Microwave on high(100%)power for 20 seconds, knead bag to mix. Microwave at additional 10 second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag; squeeze to drizzle over biscotti.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 24 hours or freeze up to 3 months, for longer storage.

And one more favorite!
Brownie Biscotti
Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup granualted sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions:
Beat butter until soft, then add sugar and baking powder. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add cocoa and as much flour as you can by mixer. Add the remainder by hand. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Divide dough in half. Shape into 9"x2"x1" loaves. Place on baking sheet 4" apart. Brush with mixture of water and yolk.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Cool on sheet for 30 minutes.
Cut loaves into thick slices diagonally. Lay cut side down and bake at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn over and other side for 10-15 minutes until dry. Cool. Store in an airtight container.

Sorry for the Thunderous bump; it's just how I roll.

A Most Modifiable Biscotti Recipe
Ingredients:

5 Tbsp Unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c Granulated sugar
2 Large eggs, beaten slightly
¼ tsp Kosher salt
¾ tsp Vanilla flavoring or extract

1 ¾ c All-purpose flour
½ tsp Baking powder

2/3 c Chewy ingredient *
½ c Crunchy ingredient *

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for two minutes.

Sift in flour and baking powder. Stir in the crunchy and chewy ingredients.

Separate the dough into two equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a flat log, three inches wide, ¾ inch tall.

Bake on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 25 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing diagonally with a bread knife or sharp chef’s knife.

Lay slices on their sides on the parchment-lined sheet. Bake for seven minutes. Cool on a rack again.

* Combinations of chewy/crunchy: Chopped, dried mango (or papaya) and crushed banana chips; dried or candied cherries and chopped, toasted almonds; chopped dates and walnuts, etc. Drained maraschino cherries can also be used, but substitute ½ c bread flour for ½ c all-purpose flour.

Spicy Biscotti Recipe
Ingredients:

5 Tbsp Unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c Granulated sugar
3 Tbs Honey
¼ tsp Kosher salt
¾ tsp Orange extract

1 ¾ c +
3 Tbsp All-purpose flour
½ tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Baking soda

2/3 c Chopped, candied ginger
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Ground nutmeg
½ tsp Ground anise
½ tsp Ground allspice

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for two minutes.

Sift in flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in the candied ginger.

Separate the dough into two equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a flat log, three inches wide, ¾ inch tall.

Bake on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 25 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing diagonally with a bread knife or sharp chef’s knife.

Lay slices on their sides on the parchment-lined sheet. Bake for seven minutes. Cool on a rack again.

Chocolate Biscotti Recipe
Ingredients:

1/3 c Unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 c Granulated sugar
1 tsp Vanilla flavoring or extract
¼ c Unsweetened cocoa powder

1 ¾ c All-purpose flour
2 tsp Baking powder

1 c Semisweet chocolate chips

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar.

Add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Slowly add the cocoa powder. Beat at medium speed for two minutes.

Sift in flour and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Bake on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 25 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack for 30 minutes to an hour before slicing diagonally with a bread knife or sharp chef’s knife.

Stand slices again on the parchment-lined sheet. Bake for seven minutes. Cool on a rack again.

For a zebra drizzle, melt a couple bricks of white and milk chocolate in separate double boilers, thin with vegetable shortening to a drizzlable consistency. Dip the bottoms of the biscotti in the milk chocolate and stand them back up on the parchment and allow to cool. Using a spoon, fling white chocolate onto the tops and sides of the biscotti, allow to cool, and repeat with the milk chocolate.

I made 4 dozen biscotti's during the holidays. I make this Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti that is posted on the Allrecipes site. I have yet to screw it up. I would say I can make it in my sleep and the best part it is made with olive oil.

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti - Allrecipes

This time I made a mocha almond version of this and it was completely gone when I took it to work. My big boss asked me if I bought it from a store or made them.

I used the same basic recipe as above with the following modifications:

I mixed 2 tbsp of instant coffee with a tbsp of water and added it to the batter. I also toasted some almonds and then roughly chopped them with a knife and added that to the batter. I increased the flour amount by a 1/4 cup and also increased the amount of baking powder by a 1/4 tsp. I omitted the vanilla extract and only used almond extract.

It was absolutely devine. I am going to make them soon. After I found this olive oil recipe I will no longer go back to the butter ones :)

Cherry Almond Biscott1

1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of salt

Combine dry ingredients and set aside.

¼ cup butter (softened)
½ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon of almond extract
½ cup of finely chopped, well drained maraschino cherries
2 Tablespoons milk

In mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar till light. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Stir. Remove bowl from mixer. With a spoon, stir in half of the flour mixture. Stir in milk. Add remaining flour mixture and combine well.

These are crisp and crunchy. The texture comes from baking the cookie twice. The second baking draws out the moisture and how long they are baked determines how crisp and crunchy they will be. They are real easy to make.
Enjoy! Debbie

CHOCOLATE ALMOND BISCOTTI (ITALIAN COOKIES)
img_545351_0_00b553835cdab564030091796b52b3fc.jpg

3/4 cup(s) BLANCHED WHOLE ALMONDS; Toasted And Chopped Coarsely.
2/3 cup(s) SUGAR
2 EGGS
1 teaspoon(s) VANILLA
3/4 teaspoon(s) BAKING POWDER
1/8 teaspoon(s) SALT
1 3/4 cup(s) FLOUR
4 ounce(s) SEMI-SWEET BAKING CHOCOLATE SQUARES; Or Bittersweet Chocolate.
_____

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Toast almonds for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
Let cool and then chop coarsely.
Set aside.
Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper.
Set aside.
In bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the sugar and eggs on high speed until thick, pale, and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.
At this point beat in the vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Add to the egg mixture and beat until combined.
Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate.
Transfer the dough to your baking sheet and form into a log, about 12 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide.
You may have to dampen your hands to form the log as the dough is quite sticky.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 3/4 inch thick on the diagonal.
Place the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet.
Bake 10 to 15 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Drizzle with melted chocolate chips if desired.
I melt the chips (about ½ cup) in a small, heavy-duty plastic bag.
Microwave on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds; knead, reheat if necessary.
Don't let it get to hot.
Cut a tiny corner from bag and drizzle over cooled biscotti.
Let stand until chocolate is set.
Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Makes about 16 biscotti.
_____

I have used this recipe modified from one on All Recipes. It makes about 5 dozen. Been making it for 3 or 4 years now and evryone loves it.
INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup anise liquor
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup almonds ( I like sliced unblanched almonds)
  • 2 tablespoons anise seed
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil.
  2. In large mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine brandy, anise extract and vanilla in a small bowl or measuring cup. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Alternately add dry ingredients and brandy mixture to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Stir in the almonds and aniseed.
  3. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared sheet, forming two 2 x 13-inch long strips on each sheet. Smooth dough into logs with moistened fingertips*.
  4. Bake about30 to 35 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Place cookie sheets on racks and cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
  5. Cut cooled logs on the diagonal into 3/4-inch thick slices using a serrated knife. Place slices on cookie sheets.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until dry and slightly brown. Remove to a rack and cool.
*To moisten my finger tips I don’t use water but touch them in some anise liquor. Just a touch more flavor and somehow the last of the liquor nver makes it to the sink. LOL

Interesting. I've been looking for a recipe that is basic and not fancy with nuts. If anyone has such a thing and could post I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sue

I am going to try making biscottti this weekend for the first time. We have a bunch of pecans I need to use up. Any suggestions that don't include chocolate?

Bicotti Recipe

I gave my family Biscotti Recipe to my friend. She posted on her blog.
go to: http:/berrytarts.blogspot.com to view a video of the recipe and
how to make biscotti. Aria

I gave my family Biscotti Recipe to my friend. She posted on her blog.
go to: http:/berrytarts.blogspot.com to view a video of the recipe and
how to make biscotti. Aria

Thanks for sharing, Aria, but I can't find the recipe on her page. I tried using the search feature, too, and it said no matches were found. Maybe she took it down?

Back
Top Bottom