Powdered sugar on the cookies before or after baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle

Assistant Cook
Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. :( THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily

Why not try sprinkling before baking, on just a couple of the cookies. I like the idea of carmelizing. You might just have a whole new twist.

Please share your expertise with me:

All the recipes for cookies involving powdered sugar as a decoration tell me to roll/sprinkle the sugar AFTER the cookies have been baked. Won't it just fall off? Can I stick it to the cookies after baking with some sort of glaze perhaps? Shouldn't roll/sprinkle BEFORE cooking? If I do that, will the sugar burn? I am confused. :( THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

emily

I you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.

i you sprinkle after baking, the heat of the cookie holds the powdered sugar on the cookie. Some will still fall off, but doing it before cooking only melts the sugar and they don't look as nice.
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL

Last edited:
i agree!!

Why can't I use all caps? This is stupid I hate being edited or censored if I am not saying anything offensive!! IF I WANT CAPS (that was in all caps) I should be able to use them!!

Ok this is weird!! My above post "I AGREE" was changed to all lower case instead of caps but not this post. Is someone messing with my head? LOL

All caps means that you are shouting. Just bold it instead.

Italics work good for emphasis as well. It indicates stressing the word, but not shouting it.

It's probably too late to help the OP but it might come in handy in the future. I made a recipe recently that called for rolling the cookie dough in powdered sugar before baking and then sprinkling/sifting more over after they were baked. It worked pretty well.

I have started rolling out my cookie dough and my pie crusts in powdered sugar instead of flour. It helps to avoid that flour layer that inevitably ends up on the pastry. The flour doesn't taste or look great but the powdered sugar does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom