Professionals! Help with macaroons please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Hi folks, I am a lousy macaroon maker. Is there a secret to good macaroons? Do I have to break down and get a silpat?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

chez suz........
They get dark too quick.
I don't know what the proper coconut is to use for them.
They aren't pretty.
Don't know how to form them evenly so they'll look alike.
Mis-shapen.
Last year I got inventive and added a drop of blue food coloring to the mixture. They looked sick. I won't do that again.
Is there a tried and true recipe you can share?
Thanks.

LEFSE...ok lets see what we can do about making some good macaroons.
This is the recipe I used from Martha Stewart...I dont know about pretty but they were very good!!

Chocolate Chunk Macaroons
Yield 20
3/4C sugar
2 1/2C Unsweetened shredded coconut
2 lg egg whites
1/2C semi sweetchunks (about 3oz)
1t vanilla extract
Pinch salt

Heat the oven to 350 (I think your oven was too hot) Line a baking sheet w/parchment paper or that mat. In a lg bowl combine sugar,coconut, egg whites,choc. chunks, vanilla and salt. Use your hands to mix well, completly combine ingred.

Dampen hands w/cold water. Form 1 1/2T of mixture into a loose haystack shape(how pretty they come out..is up to your shaping) and place on prepared baking sheet...about 1" apart.

Bake until golden (you may have overbaked) about 15 min (I always time shorter and check). Remove baking sheet from oven and put on a wire rack let cool slightly on baking sheet. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days...can also be served warm as choc. will be melty if served that way.

I hope this helps....Enjoy!

ChezSuz, although Almond Joy is my favorite candy bar, I am wondering if I could omit the chocolate and just have them the same way but without chocolate? Do you think it would matter?

I dont think leaving the chocolate out would make any difference at all...I think based on your concerns....you now know which kind of coconut to use..how to set up your baking pan, timing and what to look for when determining doneness...I think your all set to give it a go.

Give this one a try.

COCONUT MACAROONS
3cups (750 mL) shredded coconut
2tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
Dash salt
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla 3egg whites
Combine coconut and cornstarch; set aside. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat egg whites
and salt in a stainless steel bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture is stiff and
glossy. Gently fold in coconut mixture. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not allow water to
touch bowl. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from heat;
gently stir in vanilla. Cool 10 minutes. Drop small spoonfuls of batter 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart onto greased
and floured cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 18 – 20 minutes or until a pale golden colour.
Transfer cookies to racks and cool. Store, layered with wax paper, in an airtight container. May be
frozen. Yield: 3 1/2 dozen macaroons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom