Question about meringue cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonguetied

Assistant Cook
I have just made some meringue cookies and now they're still in the oven. I've baked them for more than 1.5 hrs. My question is, is it normal that they are still soft to touch right after baking? Do they become hard only after they're completely cooled, like most crispy cookies?

Can you post the recipe you used? :) It may be that there was not enough sugar added but we need to see which type of meringue you made.

I cook mine for 1 1/2 hrs or so then leave in the turned off oven to dry out.
And yes, they should feel dry and crisp at the time you turn oven off.

Some people have attempted baked meringues with a Swiss mix and that does not work!!

I used the recipe from joyofbaking.com @ Meringue Cookies Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com , except that I've added about 1/4 tspn of strawberry flavouring. Hmm, I re-baked it for another 30 mins and they turn slightly yellow :(, but still they're quite soft. And when they're cooled down they become sticky. I tried one and it's super chewy. :wacko: What might have gone wrong? Maybe the humidity is too high in my place (the relative humidity here is around 70%)?

NZ Women's Weekly Food: MERINGUES

Im being lazy but this link will give you a good recipe for meringues.
I dont believe the recipe you tried had enough sugar, just remember to leave the meringues in oven, turned off and door open a little, to cool down.

I see you are in Hong Kong and I can tell you that humidity does affect meringue but it would happen after you remove them from oven.
ie: leaking sugar and generally wilting!!

Give the above recipe a try and let us know how they turned out.:)

:) Are you whipping merinque enough?The sugar needs to be totally dissolved if you can feel some sugar grains after whipping its not ready but you dont want it over whipped either it should be firm and shiny and hold its shape if you are using a pastry bag and tip.Its easier to do this if you use superfine sugar or you can take the measured sugar put in food processor to make it finer.After they have dried and tottaly cooled store in air tight container between paper towels.

It's very hard to achieve crisp meringues in humid weather. What's it like at your house? Meringues would not be on my list for New York today! :ermm:

Humidity might have a slight effect on my meringues but I think it's not the reason cuz I couldn't even have them crispy before they're out of the oven. I had made sure the sugar was thoroughly melted. I will try the recipe Lynan suggested tomorrow and see how it turns out. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom