REC- Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
My mom used to make these cookies several times a year. She made them in all shapes: hearts and lips for Valentine's Day, shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day, egg shapes for Easter, etc. They are still are one of her most requested cookies and one of my favorites.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

Cream butter in a large bowl. Add sugar and continue to cream. Add egg and vanilla, beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately to mixture with milk. Chill. Roll dough on a floured board at least ¼ inch thick. Cut dough into desired shapes. Bake at 375º for 10-12 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned. Frost after cooled.

Frosting:

1 lb. powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup butter, softened

In a bowl combine all ingredients. Beat well until smooth and creamy. Scrape sides of the bowl often. It frosting is too stiff to spread easily beat in a few drops of milk.

There's just something so special about cutout cookies!
Thanks, Sierra!

question - how much time do you usually chill the dough for: overnight or just a couple of hours?

jkath, you just need to chill them for a couple of hours. Make sure that you cover the bowl with plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out. The best thing about these cookies is they are even good without the frosting. I normally leave one or two cookies without frosting. :) My mom prefers them that way.

Last edited:
These cookies are really soft, so I am not sure how well they would be if mailed in a package. But as far as giving to friends and neighbors they are great. I usually make a large platter of them and take it to the local fire and police department during the holidays.

I can't stop at one, but I can give you my top five:

Mom's beautifully decorated, practically inedible sugar cookies...they were amazing!
Mom's lemon cheese spritz
Mom's lemon sours
Grandma Snarr's thumbprint cookies
My date nut pinwheels

These are the special Christmas cookies...there are lots of good old everyday cookies that I love, like Aunt Velma's big soft, puffy sugar cookies (her recipe calls for cream of tartar), Grandma Snarr's oatmeal cookies, Mom's peanut butter or my husband's chocolate chip.

Back
Top Bottom