Snickerdoodles Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
3cups all-purpose flour
1tsp. cream of tartar
1tsp. baking soda
¼tsp. salt
1cup butter, softened
1½cups sugar
2eggs
1tsp. vanilla extract
¼cup sugar
2tsp. ground cinnamon

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1½ cups sugar. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
  3. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a sturdy rubber scraper or wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Cover and chill the dough for about 1 hour, or until easy to handle.
  4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190 C.
  5. In a small bowl, stir together the ¼ cup sugar and the cinnamon. Shape the dough into 1½-inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
If baking powder is substituted for the cream of tarter, the cookies will be softer and more raised, and probably don't have the slight taste associated with C or T. If subbing, make a smaller cookie so it will crisp. up

Brilliant! Thanks Whiskadoodle!

I have all the ingredients already so Tuesday is looking good for this. (Tuesday was going to be my Clam Chowder day, but that has moved to Friday). I'll report back - with pics if they are successful! :)

I suspect Whiska incorporated Snickerdoodles into his screen name. Just a hunch.

I love the smell of Snickerdoodles baking!

The kind of cookies a realtor would tell you to bake during an open house! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Snickerdoodles were the first cookie Mom let me make by myself. Those things bring back all kinds of warm and fuzzy memories .... plus they are just danged good !!!

Too late for me. :LOL: Haven't made them yet, but I will in the next few days. Snickerdoodles bring back such good memories.

Thank you for posting your recipe, Whiskadoodle. I'm going to use it. :)

I made some snickerdoodles a year or so ago .. and I could not keep my hands/fingers clean of the dough. Eventually the dough balls would start to stick to my fingers when trying to place them.

What is the best method? constantly flour the hands, or coat them in oil/butter?

I'm sure when Whiskadoodle first mentioned this recipe she said the smashed the balls flat before putting them in the oven but the recipe doesn't mention this. So I have put the first batch in without flattening and will see how they work out. :)

Okay, I promised pics so here they are!

As I mentioned above, I didn't "smash" the first batch. They came out of the oven with a "domed" effect. I ate one warm - it had a crisp outershell and a slightly soft cake-like centre, but was delicious. Once cooled, it was crunchy throughout however.

The domed ones are the first pic, the unbaked flattened version are pic 2 and the last one is the baked, flattened versions. The flattened ones were properly "biscuity" as in they were crunchy but both versions tasted lovely. :) But does either version look correct?

Attachments

• Snickerdoodles domed.JPG
    Snickerdoodles domed.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Snickerdoodles flattened pre cook.JPG
    Snickerdoodles flattened pre cook.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Snickerdoodles flattened cooked.JPG
    Snickerdoodles flattened cooked.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

As I mentioned above, I didn't "smash" the first batch. They came out of the oven with a "domed" effect. I ate one warm - it had a crisp outershell and a slightly soft cake-like centre, but was delicious. Once cooled, it was crunchy throughout however.

They domed ones are the first pic, the unbaked flattened version are pic 2 and the last one is the baked, flattened versions. The flattened ones were properly "biscuity" as in they were crunchy but both versions tasted lovely. :) But does either version look correct?

They look wonderful, not too much snicker and just the right amount of doodle! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You can also form and freeze your Snickerdoodle dough. On dreary days when you need to warm up the house and have a treat just pop em into the oven and put the kettle on!

Make-and-freeze cookie dough | Flourish - King Arthur Flour's blog

They look wonderful, not too much snicker and just the right amount of doodle! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You can also form and freeze your Snickerdoodle dough. On dreary days when you need to warm up the house and have a treat just pop em into the oven and put the kettle on!

Make-and-freeze cookie dough | Flourish - King Arthur Flour's blog

Thanks Aunt Bea! :) I did wonder about freezing some of the dough. It seemed like it would lend itself to that very well. The flat did smell great while they were baking, but I have an awful lot of Snickerdoodles to eat now! :LOL:

I made some snickerdoodles a year or so ago .. and I could not keep my hands/fingers clean of the dough. Eventually the dough balls would start to stick to my fingers when trying to place them.

What is the best method? constantly flour the hands, or coat them in oil/butter?

Hi Joshatdot

I'm clearly no expert here, but I didn't have a problem with the dough. I did chill it very well before forming the balls, and I stopped halfway through and put the dough back in the fridge as it was just starting to get sticky. So I think the best method is to get the dough as well-chilled before you start as possible and do it in batches. Just my 10 cents...

The domed ones are the first pic, the unbaked flattened version are pic 2 and the last one is the baked, flattened versions. The flattened ones were properly "biscuity" as in they were crunchy but both versions tasted lovely. :) But does either version look correct?

Katy, the domed ones look most like our much-beloved school cafeteria version, but domed and smashed versions both look yummy!

And good advice about keeping the dough chilled to prevent sticking. The cafeteria Lunch Ladies, who make tons of them, may have a secret for nonstick, I'll have to ask.

I thought Snickerdoodles were supposed to be crispy on the edges and chewy in the centers? I've never made them, but I make "Cinnamon Cookies," from food.com, which have cinnamon in the batter as well as the cinnamon sugar on top.

Katy your cookies/ biscuits look terrific. Do you like their flavour?

Freezing some of the dough for future baking is probably a good idea. I gave away some, but still have plenty for a few days.

I did mention elsewhere that I flatten them with a glass. Apparently the recipe doesn't say to do that. It's just how our family always did it, so That's how I expect the recipe to read. I have what's that Syndrome, "don't always Read the Fine Print ." WHo knew No Printed Recipe that I can find says Smash "em with a glass. Well-- there's a savings. No Extra glass to wash in future. No more smashing. Your first picture looks more like how they should come out. They should be more crispy rather than soft and chewy.

Do I make sense, No, I dont think so either. No more smashing.

Back
Top Bottom