Soft Oatmeal Cookies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockAndFire

Assistant Cook
I just made my first batch of oatmeal cookies from scratch, they came out very soft and spongey granted I JUST pulled them from the oven and they are cooling as I type this. They smell GREAT, but they are very soft.. will they firm up? Did I do something wrong? : (

Wait and see, they should harden up, if it's a similar recipe to Anzacs (what passes for oatmeal cookies in Australia) they have quite a high butter content, so it is still "melted" when it comes out of the oven, and they progressively harden. If it doesn't happen, try baking them again for 5 minutes or so once cool, but watch them like a HAWK!!! Or they might burn.

Did they harden up?? I have been able to keep my cookies soft. I whip the butter a real long time at the beginning and sift my flour. I also bake on silpat sheets or parchment paper. :)

Hey, 24 hours later and they are still pretty soft. They did call for a fair amount of butter, so I'm wondering if that it's what did it? I mean they are delicious, but I would have liked them to be a bit firmer..

I know what you mean about the oatmeal cookies. Although those do sound pretty good right about now and those happen to be my favorite kind of cookie, especiallly when they have chocolate chips or M&M's in them. Now I'm hungry. LOL. Anyway, yours are probably soft still because of the butter like you said. I had that problem once and I found a new wonderful recipe for them and they were firmer the next time I made them.

Back
Top Bottom