Thumbprint cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweet45

Assistant Cook
I had some cookies from the bakery in a popular grocery store chain in my city a few years back and suddenly one day, they quit making them. They were the most delicious cookies I've ever had. I was hoping maybe someone would know a recipe. The bakery labeled them as "thumbprint cookies", but I realize there are many different variations of thumbprint cookies. On these, the dough was very white and a crumbly, almost powdery consistency, and had tiny pieces of almonds in the dough. There was hardly a trace of brown on the bottoms of the cookies, as if they didn't have to bake long at all. In the centers was chocolate, and it was that kind of chocolate that hardens after it is poured. I haven't found any cookies anywhere that are close to how good these were. I've seen various recipes for the cookie dough on the internet but I don't know which ones might be what I'm looking for, they're all different. Any help would be appreciated!

I hate when that happens!!!! Why do stores have to mess with a good thing? lol
There's a really good thumbprint cookie recipe on the Canadian Living website, you should check that one out... I've made them once before, and they turned out like a light crumbly shortbread cookie, and I did cook them for a shorter time than usual... Could you use Belgian molding chocolate for the centers? And if the dough doesn't normally call for almonds, you could just add them in when making the dough, right?

Hi Niki, I was an avid cookie baker when my kids were younger. Now the only thing I bake are biscottis.

The thumbprints I baked sound very similar to what you purchased in the store. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe anymore but I can tell you what to look for when you are searching the net.

Look at thumbprint recipes that have cream cheese in them. It gives it great pizzaz and make them pale in color. My recipe used ground walnuts (1 cup) along with flour in the recipe so it was very nutty and rich.

I don't like chocolate and probably thats why I loved these so much because I filled my centers with apricot jam or raspberry jam.

I can say that they never lasted. I used to make 5 dozen and most of them were gone in no time between giving it as gifts and the rest for my kids.

I have a fabulous recipe for thumbprint cookies that I will gladly post this weekend. It's one I call an "Heirloom," because it came from our next door neighbor when I was very small, a lovely Swedish lady who brought the recipe with her from there.

It remains one of my all-time favorite cookies. You're gonna LOVE it! :chef:

Hi Niki, I was an avid cookie baker when my kids were younger. Now the only thing I bake are biscottis.
I LOVE biscottis!!!!! :) Those are probably my favourite type of baked good to have with my coffee... I make a double chocolate mocha biscotti...

Cream cheese in the cookie dough... That's definitely something to try!!

Sorry to be so tardy getting this posted, but here's the cookie recipe I promised.

SWEDISH THUMBPRINT COOKIES

makes about 4 dozen (or less, depending on size)

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 extra large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon light cream
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
pinch of Rumford's baking powder
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 extra large egg white

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

2. Have butter and eggs at room temperature.

3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla and cream. Stir in flour and baking powder.

4. Place unbeaten egg white in a saucer. Roll small pieces of dough into small balls about the size of a nickel. Dip into egg white and then in the chopped nuts. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Make an indentation in the center of each ball with your thumb.

5. Bake for 5 minutes in 325 degrees F. oven. Check and re-dent if necessary. Add a small amount of preserves in the flavor of your choice (or a Hershey's kiss) in the thumbprint. Continue baking for 15 minutes longer.

6. Cool on cooling racks, and try to stay out of them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom