Virtual Holiday Cookie Swap!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen Rumford's baking powder mentioned more than once. Is it different from regular double acting baking powder? In what way? Can we substitute an ordinary double acting baking powder?

I have seen Rumford's baking powder mentioned more than once. Is it different from regular double acting baking powder? In what way? Can we substitute an ordinary double acting baking powder?

Any brand of double acting baking powder is fine.

Rumford is a name brand of double acting baking powder, any brand will work. Rumford contains no aluminum and tastes a bit better in recipes that call for a lot of baking powder, like biscuits.

Rumford is a name brand of double acting baking powder, any brand will work. Rumford contains no aluminum and tastes a bit better in recipes that call for a lot of baking powder, like biscuits.

Thank you. I use a Canadian brand that doesn't have any aluminium.

I'll be sharing my grandma's peppernuts recipe--they are not the German version, but rather Scandinavian (I think) version. I don't think I'll get around to making the German version...too late for them to season.

Oh, me. I'm supposed to be in the kitchen, getting the turkey ready for the oven. I knew I shouldn't click on this thread -- I only read down the first page and have to exercise some willpower to stop. But I must come back - tomorrow.

If I didn't have to curl tonight, I'd be baking! Tomorrow night! I'll start with the dough for peppernuts, then do Krumkake, and then sandbakler.

Usually I take orders for Christmas baking and I do baking as gifts for all those we want to give a thank you too. But this year baking of any kind was not going to happen - so... our youth group has said that they will do the baking I need for us for the holidays and a fellow baker has taken over my customers just for this year! I am so blessed!

These are called Peppernuts in my family. I don't know where my Swedish grandmother got the recipe, but she would always make these and send glass jars filled with them to anyone who couldn't make it home for Christmas. I'm sending some to my parents.

1 c water
1/2 c Karo dark syrup (I tried using the Golden Corn Syrup one finds in Canada--they weren't the same)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 T baking soda
1 lb butter
2-1/2 c brown sugar
7-8 c flour

1.Cream butter, sugar, and syrup.
2. Add water.
3. Mix spices and baking soda with about 1 c of the flour--add to creamed mixture.
4. Add remaining flour. Divide into two pieces. Form a log about 2" x 2" x 8" and wrap in waxed paper. Freeze until firm.
5. To slice cut 1/8 inch thick slices. Cut these into 12-16 pieces (about the size of a square dime, if there were such a thing!).
6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 5-7 minutes at 400.

Watch carefully, they burn! These are crisp little cookies (and yes, I like to slice the dough and eat that too!).

I just read this thread. It's going to be a fun one to return to When it get's closer to cookie baking time.

I see CWS is making Krumkake soon. It's one of my favorite Christmas cookies. I see you have your Grandma's baking Iron. My Great Aunt, my Grandma's sister, gave me her's when she moved to the Senior Citizen's High-rise. I was able to bring her several years worth of Krumkake before she graduated to a more extended care. I hope it was a delight for her to share these cookies with her neighbors over coffee. I know I appreciate so much when she chose to give me her krumkake iron.

In a couple weeks when I start baking, I will post my krumkake recipe. It's a little different than CWS's. ( CWS's recipe along with excellent play by play instrux is posted in its own thread on the Main Cookie recipe page, not in this thread).

Today, is a day to Do and no more reading time for me. Sigh. But there will be plenty of time for holiday baking and sharing. :)

Alice's Sugar Cookies. I don't know who Alice was, but these are cookies we've made forever at Christmas. They are crisp, perfect for dunking in milk or tea.

1 c shortening (Crisco)
1 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (or rum/brandy)
2 c flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
green/red sugar

1. Cream shortening and sugar together.
2. Add beaten egg and vanilla.
3. Sift dry ingredients. Stir into creamed mixture--blend well.
4. Form dough into balls--I use a scoop--probably a 1 T scoop.
5. Flatten with a baby food jar (I dust the bottom of the jar with a bit of flour). Flip, and use the top of the bf jar to make perfect circles.
6. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
7. Place cookies about 1 inch apart.
8. Sprinkle with colored sugar--press the colored sugar down.
9. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. They should be "tan" on the bottom, not brown.
10. Cool on wire rack covered with paper towel. Store in airtight container. Makes about 3 doz. 2" cookies.

Perfect cookies to leave for Santa with a glass of milk. Worked for us for more than 50 years.

Attachments

• cookies 110.jpg
    cookies 110.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Don't tell the girls-- I bought 6 eggs to do krumkake again. I am planning on going to CT on Friday--stopping at the UPS store to send off a box of 7 different varieties of cookies to my folks. At least the "Alice" cookies worked...I just have to stop eating them!

i've been taking virtual bites from scores of wonderful cookies, while reading through these holiday recipes, and now have one heck of a virtual stomachache!!! :)

These cookies are always a favorite in these parts. My daughter asked me if I was going to make any to take to work. Her co workers have been asking for them. And my son-in-law can eat every single one I make. I do have a funny story that goes with these cookies. But that is for another day. These are very soft, cake like cookies.​

:chef:

Pumpkin Cookies​

Ingredients

1 tsp. Baking Powder 1 c. Dried Cranberries
½ tsp. Baking Soda 1 c. Finely chopped nuts
1 tsp. Cinnamon (Optional)
½ tsp. Allspice
½ tsp Salt
2 c. Sifted All-purpose Flour
1 c. Butter
½ c. White Sugar
½ c. Dark Brown Sugar

1 c. (8 oz.) Cooked Pumpkin
1 Tsp Orange Extract or
Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
1 Tsp. Orange Zest
1 Egg

Glaze
1 c. 10X Sugar
2-3 tbls. Milk
1 “Just Whites” Egg White for one egg
1 tsp. Orange Extract

Directions

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice. Set aside. Cream together butter and sugar. Add and mix well pumpkin, egg, dry ingredients, and flavoring extract. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Using an ice cream scoop, drop cookies on to a greased or non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Cookies are done when edges are browned. Dip scoop in flour before scooping for easy release.

When cookies have cooled, dip top of cookie in glaze or drizzle glaze over cookies.

I used fresh pumpkin and adjusted the flour to the amount of water in the pumpkin. This recipe is for fresh pumpkin. This is a very wet recipe and you will probably need to add extra flour. The dough should hold together. You can use two tsp. of pumpkin pie spice in place of listed spices. :chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had made the pumpkin cookies to take to a Christmas party at my Granddaughter's in-laws. They were a big hit. Her husband's aunt asked me for the recipe. She gave me her email address and the next day I sent the recipe on its way to her at work.

A few weeks later she made the cookies and took them to her work. She worked at that time in the same division of the Registry as my daughter. When someone asked her for the recipe, she politely declined informing them that it was an old secret family recipe. My daughter heard the conversation and called me. I got her email and sent the recipe directly to her. She printed it out and showed it to the aunt asking if "this was the same recipe?" The aunt to this day hasn't figured out how she got the recipe in a matter of minutes. So much for a secret family recipe! The recipe made the rounds that day and almost everyone had it.

If someone asks me for a recipe, I am only too happy to share it. I consider it a compliment that someone liked my baking or cooking so much that they would like to emulate it. :chef:

These are called Peppernuts in my family. I don't know where my Swedish grandmother got the recipe, but she would always make these and send glass jars filled with them to anyone who couldn't make it home for Christmas. I'm sending some to my parents.

1 c water
1/2 c Karo dark syrup (I tried using the Golden Corn Syrup one finds in Canada--they weren't the same)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 T baking soda
1 lb butter
2-1/2 c brown sugar
7-8 c flour

1.Cream butter, sugar, and syrup.
2. Add water.
3. Mix spices and baking soda with about 1 c of the flour--add to creamed mixture.
4. Add remaining flour. Divide into two pieces. Form a log about 2" x 2" x 8" and wrap in waxed paper. Freeze until firm.
5. To slice cut 1/8 inch thick slices. Cut these into 12-16 pieces (about the size of a square dime, if there were such a thing!).
6. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 5-7 minutes at 400.

Watch carefully, they burn! These are crisp little cookies (and yes, I like to slice the dough and eat that too!).

NO--no 1 cup water! The tsp of soda is dissolved in water. The dough is chilling now--don't know that there will be any cookies...I LOVE, LOVE the taste of this dough.

Back
Top Bottom