What Christmas cookies did you make this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, you folks are the best. Like I always tell new members, need an answer, this is the place to get it. One thing we all love to do is share our knowledge.

You know Dawg, when someone asks if they can freeze a certain food, my standard answer is "can you find it in the frozen food section? " If their answer is Yes, then they can freeze that item also. How silly of me to forget that. I think this dang cold has numbed my brain as well. :angel:

oh no.jpg

Last night, one of our dinner guests emailed us to say that they would not be joining us this evening.
My husband and I looked at each other and IMMEDIATELY dug into one of these cookies... OH NO MR. BILL!!
Not bad really, nice and chewy, not too dry, great flavor...I think leaving the dough to meld for a day was the ticket.

002.jpg

a new recipe from the package of Andes
Peppermint Crunch Baking chips,
meh, not wild about this one, we'll
take this one out of the Christmas cookie regulars

003.jpg

Quaker Oats Original recipe for
Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookies with Pecans
MMM!

005.jpg

DH's favorite any time of the year
Land-O-Lakes recipe for Chewy Jumbo
Chocolate Chip cookies, a winner every time,
crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside

006.JPG

Last year at the Dollar Store, I found all these tin trays,
this one is for our mail-guy tomorrow.
I buy those small gift bags to package up goodies for folks.

Addie - I find frozen sugar cookie dough works really well. Just put it in the fridge the night before you want to bake them and it will be the right temperature to work with!

Kgirl, your cookies are amazing! I love the half eaten gingerbread man!

CHRISTMAS COOKIES
Ingredients:
4 c. flour (more of less, as needed)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. shortening
1 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 beaten eggs
1/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar (1 lb.)
2 egg whites
1/4 c. butter
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
Preparation Guidlines:
Combine the flour, baking powder, shortening, and salt as you would for pie crust. Mix together in order given the sugar, soda, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix with flour mixture. Check dough consistency; if dough is too sticky, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until dough is workable. If dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until dough is the correct consistency for rolling. Refrigerating the dough for 1-2 can help make the dough easier to roll.Roll out and cut into any shape.Bake in a preheated 350°F oven just until lightly golden along bottom edges of cookies, approximately 6-8 minutes.

Mix all together and frost cookies when cool.
Source: www.recipe-mate.com/pages/list_collections/christmas_cookies

Last edited:
I cut back this year, to just my families favorites.

Chocolate Chip
Apricot Horns
Nut Horns
Peanut Butter Cup Tassies
Ladylocks

DH likes oatmeal cookies but the recipe makes too many cookies to make at once. I freeze the dough either in an ice cube tray or on a cookie sheet, then pop the frozen dough balls in plastic bags a dozen per bag. When he wants cookies I take a bag of them out of the freezer and bake a dozen for him. You just put the frozen balls of dough on the cookie sheet and bake. Once they are frozen on the cookie sheet or ice cube tray, they don't stick together when you put them in a freezer bag.

I finally made a batch of cookies this year - friends keep bringing theirs by so there seemed to be little need but I finally caved and made on of my very favorites - a lemon infused ginger almond cookie.

This recipe is a riff on a traditional Moravian cookie.

3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 Tbl ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

1 C butter, softened
1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C molasses
1 tsp pure lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl fresh grated lemon zest
1/4 C finely minced crystallized ginger

1 C sliced almonds, toasted

In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, molasses, zest, minced ginger and extracts.

Combine dry ingredients and then add to butter mixture. Mix to combine and then add almonds.

Evenly divide dough into two pieces. Shape each into a 7" x 3" brick (about 1 1/4" thick) and wrap tightly in parchment. Place into the refrigerator and chill until very firm, at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Slice bricks crosswise into very thin cookies, aim for 1/8" or less, if possible. Bake until just the edges start to turn golden brown, about 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 9 to 10 dozen.

Attachments

• ginger_cookies.jpg
    ginger_cookies.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 256
I bought a box of strawberry shortcake cookie dough by Otis Spunkmeyer from a teen for a music fundraiser. That is the only cookie I made this year. I did do some more of the pecan bars I made for Thanksgiving and 2 cheese danishes for tomorrow morning along with Chex mix and veggie dip with chips and pretzels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom