What Christmas cookies did you make this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO and I made the following:

Anise
Eggnog
Pecan balls
Oatmeal raisin
Chocolate Chip
Armenian sugar cookies (gurabia)

No cookies here this year. I got a nasty cold last week when I should have been baking and the cough is lingering sapping the energy. I'll make a couple batches of Chex Mix and call it good. We'll get enough when we go to family's homes I don't think anyone will miss them.

Krumkake with cardamom spice
Jam thumbprints
Molasses cookies with Hershey kisses
Cranberry orange quickbreads
--
Lefse making tomorrow. Not a cookie, a Scandinavian treat

This year we passed on cookies but made candy instead

Caramels, Turtles, Rocky Road Fudge, Eggnog Fudge, Chocolate Covered Cherries and gobs of carmel corn.

Been kinda busy making Christmas goodies. So far...

Chocolate-peppermint pizzelles, Mexican wedding cakes (melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie with cashews), oatmeal-dried cranberry cookies, iced and decorated cut-out cookies, coconut chewies, two-tone truffles, mice cookies, pecan tassies (like mini pecan pies), potato chip cookies and...I'm still at it. Havin' a ball and every time I look in my recipe file I see something else I want to bake. I really NEED to make some fudge, too.:rolleyes: Wanted to make some bourbon balls but it's not cold enough to do that yet. Maybe for the New Year.

The last many years I have only made two Christmas cookies; Mexican Wedding cakes and chocolate almond cookies. This year I only made the chocolate almond cookies.

I'm a little more in the spirit this year, at least more than last year.

I've done
-chewy ginger cookies with candied ginger
-butter spritz with the bottoms coated in chocolate and dipped in red and green jimmies (sprinkles)
-salty sweet butter pecan cookies
-snickerdoodles
-chocolate chip

I really wanted to do more "Christmassy" varieties but time isn't on my side with mom here and working retail, so the ones I've done have been mostly simple.

I've also made dark chocolate truffles and 4 batches of butter toffee.

I really like to make cookies as close to giving them away as possible, I don't freeze baked cookies. My butter spritz are really good for a solid week or more, but the softer varieties are given away fresh. So the strategy is make the butter cookies and candy ahead and make one variety just before delivering.

Last edited:
I wanted to make the QO oatmeal cookies for my daughter. But making the cake and cheesecake really took a lot out of me. Then having to clean up constantly. Maybe today. I need to take a shower and set my hair. I'll see how I feel after that. :angel:

I made, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Walnut Butterballs, Sugar Cookies, Apricot Cold Dough, Mounds Bar Cookies, and Reeses PB Cup Tassies. I had to cut that last recipe in half because someone ate half of the PB Cups. I usually make Thumbprints with icing in them, but I skipped that one this year.

I freeze my cookies, but only for a couple days, so they don't dry out by the time Christmas comes. I have good heavy containers and they never get freezer taste. I find that Chocolate Chip cookies are softer after they have been frozen. Some of the ones I made don't freeze well, so they are in the attic so the chocolate doesn't melt.

I made oatmeal-raisin cookies for DH last week and Christmas biscotti yesterday. I want to make pecan balls today or tomorrow and take some to my mom later this week. We'll see how I feel.

ForumRunner_20131224_100635.jpg

Russian Tea Cakes

Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar

Directions

Heat oven to 400ºF.

Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and the vanilla in large bowl. Stir in flour, nuts and salt until dough holds together.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool slightly on wire rack.

Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar; cool on wire rack. Roll in powdered sugar again.

cookie pan.jpg

001.jpg

002.JPG

005.JPG

I found this cookie pan at Walmart and thought it would be a great addition to my cookie vault :yum:
I followed the recipe on the back of the card, I made it yesterday and then parked it in the `fridge.
Today, I let it come up to room temp, sprayed the pan with some Pam for Baking, divided the dough in two equal pieces (I weighted them to be certain), pressed the dough into the pan and smoothed it out with an off-set spatula.
It "turn out" from the pan beautifully!
Then a made a small batch of Royal Icing ans set to work.
I had a great time decorating these two 'boys'.
These will be gifts for our dinner guests on Sunday.

SO is the cookie baker. This year she's already made anise cookies, vanilla and anise pizzelles and pecan nut balls. She also made and decorated some gingerbread cookies. On the agenda for tomorrow is egg nog cookies. Later she'll make some sugar cookies.

If I feel energetic, I'll make some pecan sandies and chocolate chip.

Last edited:
SO is the cookie baker. This year she's already made anise cookies, vanilla and anise pizzelles and pecan nut balls. She also made and decorated some gingerbread cookies. On the agenda for tomorrow is egg nog cookies. Later she'll make some sugar cookies.

If I feel energetic, I'll make some pecan sandies and chocolate chip.

Andy M, how do you folks keep your Ginger Bread cookies fresh?
I wrapped my Giant Boys in a cellophane bag, you know the ones from the craft stores, gift bags, and then I twisted up the tail of the bag and teist-tied it.
Do you think that will do until Sunday?

No cookies here this year. I got a nasty cold last week when I should have been baking and the cough is lingering sapping the energy. I'll make a couple batches of Chex Mix and call it good. We'll get enough when we go to family's homes I don't think anyone will miss them.

I feel for you. I am in week #4 with my cold. I keep wondering what ever happened to that 14 days for a cold.

No baking here. I am lucky to just pour myself a glass of water. :flowers: Hope you feel better soon. :angel:

There will not be much Christmas baking in the Beier household this year thanks to allergies, bum knees and the fact that we are having a very quiet one this year. I will make my Mom's shortbread but that will probably be it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom