What to do with roll of sugar cookie dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Girl

Senior Cook
I bought a roll of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough thinking I would roll it out and fill with dates, roll up, slice and bake. I ended up using the dates for another recipe. I don't have cookie cutters. I find these slice & bake cookies rather bland...even if decorated, they still taste plain to me. Has anyone had success rolling out the dough and spreading anything else on it, then rolling back up? Any other ideas on what to do with it?

Giada used it to make biscotti. I'm saying this from memory, but I think she used pistachios and dried cranberries. You can probably find the recipe on the foodnetwork. They looked delicious and quite easy. If it wasn't Giada, it was Sandra Lee. Sorry, I can't remember for sure.

I just saw someone on tv using it for her Christmas candy cane cookies.
She took the tube, divided it in two batches, red food coloring to one half and peppermint extract too.
rolled them up like little ropes and then weaved them together for individual peppermint stick cookies. Pretty darn cute but careful, don't overbake as you want them unbrowned on the white side and unbrowned on the red too.

Vegas Girl said:
I bought a roll of Pillsbury sugar cookie dough thinking I would roll it out and fill with dates, roll up, slice and bake. I ended up using the dates for another recipe. I don't have cookie cutters. I find these slice & bake cookies rather bland...even if decorated, they still taste plain to me. Has anyone had success rolling out the dough and spreading anything else on it, then rolling back up? Any other ideas on what to do with it?

Do you have any raisins? Nuts? I used to substitute raisins for my date/nut pinwheels when I didn't have dates.

Thanks for your ideas.

I do have raisins and nuts.

Those twisted candy cane cookies sound cute. However, I know my hands would be full of red food coloring, and it's very hard to wash off. Any way around that? Also, as the cookies get done, wouldn't they start spreading and flattening out, and lose their twisted shape?

Back
Top Bottom