White chocolate won't melt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Weird. I have 12 oz. package of Nestle's morsels, ex. date 2-10, over a double boiler and all I get is a packed glob. I put it in the microwave and still no melt. Bought a new package and dumped it in the same double boiler and it melts okay. What's up? Old package? Package was sealed. Also, every time I do this with Nestlse's morsels, the white chocolate doesn't melt like the semi-sweet chocolate. I know white chocolate isn't "real" chocolate, but when I see this done on tv they can dip a cookie in it and it covers like a charm. I can't do that as I have to smear the melted goo over the cookie. A more expensive white chocolate needed?

That has happened to me as well, though only once. The last time I used it I made a white ganache and it melted O.K. Although when I tried it earlier this year to use as a coating (without the addition of hot cream), it was gross. I think to coat stuff, I may try the "bark" or large squares made expressly for that purpose.
I you google it, you will find lots and lots of examples, doing just as you did.
Sometimes steam can escape from under the bowl and water get into your chocolate, seizing it. Sources also mention the higher amount of milk solids/proteins which can make it tricky to work with.

I don't know exactly what the problem is; but I just read an article the other day that "chocolate chips" (and presumably white chocolate chips)(Nestle's) are specially formulated so that they won't melt and lose their shape when used in cookies.

Might be better to purchase bar or block "chocolate" if you want to melt it for use as a liquid??

The comment about the chips/morsels not melting because of the way they are made is fairly true. Chocolate chips seem to melt well, but because of the makeup of white chocolate, it stays more solid. Melting it with hot cream to make a ganache does work, but heating the chips by themselves usually won't.

What you should get are "melting wafers". They come in all flavours and colours and are specifically made for melting and dipping or molding. You can also use the block "baking chocolate" and it will work as well. The wafers can be found in bulk food sections, Michaels and anywhere you find Wilton products.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom