Why do my cookies go flat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several of the other posters have hit on the reason.

Butter melts at a lower temperature than shortening, so the butter melts and the cookies spread out flat (or thin) before the dough has a chance to set.

Chill the dough thoroughly before starting and chill the cookie sheets in the freezer. Put the cold dough on the cold sheets and bake. The warm cookie sheets go into the freezer between batches and the dough goes back into the fridge between batches.

You'll end up with thick cookies because the dough sets before the colder butter has a chance to melt and spread out.

Ok. I've got this one. If you look carefully at either the Toll-House cookie recipe, or the Hershey's recipe used for the flat cookies, you will find that there is no true leavening action. Three is no whipped egg, or acidic ingrediant to react with the baking soda. The fat simply melts and distributes the oher ingrediants accross the cookie sheet. Those cookies are supposed to be flat and chewy or crispy, depending on how long you cook them.

To modify the recipe to achieve a more cake-like texture, substitute baking powder for the baking soda. Add just a touch of water and bake as you normally would. The ingrediants in baking powder will give of CO2 and cause the cookies to raise. Also, use lard instead of butter, as it will allow the cookie shape to "set" before melting. Butter just melts too fast, though it gives a wonderful flavor.

The cookies will have the same flavor, but will have a lighter texture.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Methinks I should have read the other posts before putting in my own two cents. What I said still holds true, but then so does what the others have said. What I have given you is a way to make your cookies softer, more cake-like, sorta like 'nilla wafers, but with chocolate chips. The others have given you true chocolate chip cookies, but with proper technique and better end results. Try both and decide which recipe you like the most. Some swear by one, while others swear by the other. The only person who can decide is you. ;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

flat cookies

I always use the recipe on the choc. chip bag but a few years ago a friend told me to substitute crisco for the butter. I did and have never had a failure yet.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Me too!

I used this exact recipe, but I refrigerated the dough for over half an hour. When the first sheet flattened, I put the next sheet in the fridge for another 20-30 minutes. They can out only slightly less flat than the first. I also used margarine, maybe this is the problem?

I used this exact recipe, but I refrigerated the dough for over half an hour. When the first sheet flattened, I put the next sheet in the fridge for another 20-30 minutes. They can out only slightly less flat than the first. I also used margarine, maybe this is the problem?

It's difficult to predict how margarines will react as there are so many different compositions for the stuff. I would stick with butter and refrigerate the dough for a longer period before starting then follow the steps in my earlier post ( 5 posts up from here).

Here is the recipe, it was the one on the back Hershey Bag.

2 1/4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter or Margarine (I used Margarine)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups chocolate chips

I use this exact recipe all the time - I reduce the butter to 1/2 cup (1 stick), and the cookies come out perfectly - crispy on the edges, chewy in the centers, and not too flat. In general, too much butter causes more spread, so, reducing it will reduce the spread.
In addition, you can chill the dough to reduce the spread even more.

OK, I just saw this post, and living at high altitude, I just have to ask; Your profile does not say where you live. If you live at high altitude, that could be the simple reason the cookies end up flat as crepes and hard and crispy. If this is the case there are ways to prevent your cookies from going flat. There are simple modifications to the recipes. So...

Where are you from? Are you at high altitude? I am at about 7000 feet above sea level, and make adjustments to my recipes.

Just a thought...

Guys,

I made chocolate chip cookies the other day with the recipe on the back of the bag. They came out extremely flat for some reason and have no clue why. Anyone know why?

Thanks,

TM
You are probaly over mixing the dough. Overbeating will break down the fat & result in flat cookies.:chef:

I have made CCC's from Tollhouse's recipe & to me they came out flat.

Over time, I think I have perfected my CCCs. When I mix the wet ingredients, I leave the butter cold from the fridge .. and do not let it warm to room temperature. I also have learned from DC, to add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to help give the baking soda more oomph to have them raise more.

When I prep the dry ingredients I mix them very well, so the salt & baking soda are evenly mixed everywhere.

When everything is all done and mixed, I leave the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

Try chilling your dough before rolling, don't let the rolled and cut dough set at room temp before getting it in the oven. Cold dough won't spread as much because the outside starts cooking before the fat in the center has a chance to soften and spread.

Check the dates on your baking powder or baking soda, which ever the recipe calls for. If they are getting close to their expiration date, pitch and get some new.

Get an oven thermometer. Your oven temp could be off a bit and not baking at the correct temp to set the outside of the cookies as fast as they should.

And sometimes, it helps just to let the dough set before you start rolling cookies or shaping the dough. This gives the flour more time to absorb the liquid in the recipe.

Always measure carefully. Baking is more about chemistry and formulas than cooking is. If you don't have to correct ratios and amounts, you won't get as good a result.

And finally, try increasing the amount of flour the recipe calls for. It will make a stiffer dough that won't fall as easily.

Over time, I think I have perfected my CCCs. When I mix the wet ingredients, I leave the butter cold from the fridge .. and do not let it warm to room temperature. I also have learned from DC, to add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to help give the baking soda more oomph to have them raise more.

When I prep the dry ingredients I mix them very well, so the salt & baking soda are evenly mixed everywhere.

When everything is all done and mixed, I leave the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

I have found flat cookies are the result of overmixing.

How long is overmixing?
What is overmixing? « Baking Bites

When the flour is exposed to liquids and stirred around, the gluten (protein) in the flour starts to develop into a network that will hold whatever you’re baking together, giving cookies, cakes, etc. their structure. Gluten can also make baked goods tough if there is too much of it in the dough/batter, and excessive mixing of the dough can develop the gluten to this point.

So when a recipe instructs you not to overmix, what it means is that you should just do the minimum amount of mixing necessary to make a uniform dough. A good rule of thumb is to stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain in your mixing bowl, or if you’re going to be adding chocolate chips or fruit into your mix, you can stop when a few small streaks of flour remain, since you’re going to give the mixture a few extra turns when you stir in your add-ins.

Back
Top Bottom