Agave syrup in candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghodur

Assistant Cook
Have you used agave syrup in making candy, such as peanut brittle? Can it be subbed 1 to 1 in recipes calling for corn syrup?

No. I am a huge proponent of agave nectar in place of sugar, but it won't work with some things, and one of those things is candy. I tried making candy apples using agave instead of sugar, but even after allowing it to come to room temperature, it never hardened, so all the candy ran right off the apple and onto the waxed paper.

Good to know. I was thinking of trying agave with peanut brittle too. Thanks SLOB!

Honey, however, does work. My last batch I made using half honey and half corn syrup. The light honey flavor was great.

I grew up making hard candy when I was younger. My father is a diabetic and I have been wondering for years as to how I can make this treat for him sugar free. Yesterday the idea hit me to use agave syrup. It's low glycemic and has a thick syrup texture just like corn syrup does. So! Tonight I had a success in making homemade sugar free hard candy, using just water, agave, and Splenda. It turned out fantastic!!! I'm sure you could use his bey as well, as it has that same thick texture.

Good to know. I was thinking of trying agave with peanut brittle too. Thanks SLOB!

It's worth trying with agave! I'm sure if you subbed it cup for cup it would turn out just like it would using corn syrup would. Never hurts to experiment. From my understanding, peanut brittle starts out with a hard candy base. Only difference is the addition of baking soda.

Back
Top Bottom