Caramel apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2pupsmom

Assistant Cook
Any tips for making caramel apples? This is my first time and I am using store-bought caramels. Thanks!!

Hi, welcome to the group!

I've never made them... but some one will come along soon and answer your question.

I do know that the caramel is very hot! This may sound silly but DON"T lick the spoon! My husband tried to once. OUCH!

Last edited:
melt caramel in a double boiler..

Dip apples in... using popsicle sticks or somethin like that in the apple

roll in nuts or sprinkles

allow to cool

add a lil cream to the caramel if its too thick but it should be ok

Thanks everyone. Thanks Katie; I am in Florida so I will check out the Kraft website as well as the link you gave

Kind of off-topic but I just made myself a caramel apple latte - yum! Remember to put your apples on wax paper to cool.

Just melt and dip! Make sure you use apples without any signs of bruising. These should be the best you can find. Also, make sure the skin is perfectly dry; moisture will make the caramel run off.

Be careful, the melted caramel is extremely dangerous to the skin when it's hot. Have a bowl of ice water very close by for plunging purposes.:chef:

Some people do it by boiling sweetened condensed milk. I've never done it. One extreme case is to put the cans in lots of water and boil for 4 hours. The cans reportedly hold the pressure as it never gets hotter than boiling. So the pressure only rises to a certain point and stops.

Sounds dangerous to me, but the technique is reported a number of places.

I prefer to make caramel apples with smallish apples so I get caramel and apple in every bite.

thymeless

That sounds good kitchenelf.
I know it sounds silly to ask how to make caramel apples, but I've heard that the caramel can slide off (I'm sure this won't happen as long as I make sure the apples are really dry), and getting bubbles in the caramel, the caramel being too runny, too thick, won't set, etc. so I thought I'd ask for some advice. If I wanted to roll them in something after carameling, would I do that immediately, or wait for the caramel to set for a few minutes?

Back
Top Bottom