Chocolate covered strawberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommyNY2

Cook
i have made chocolate covered strawberries, by taste , came out preety good ,by looks it came out ....well i layed it out on one side , so therefore one side came out flat.....and i use single use gloves for cooking to save my hands and manicure and can see finger prints how i dipped them...

basically my question is as follows:
1.how to properly dip chocolate covered strawberries NOT to have my figerprints?

2. how to do white chocolate lines across not to make it messy but looking good

thanks!

I don't know about anyone else, but I use long toothpicks stuck into the top, dip into the chocolate using the toothpick, and then I stick it into an old block of styrofoam packing material that's flat and strong enough to hold all of the strawberries that I'm making.

I use Selkie's dipping method. I stick the toothpick in next to a leaf so it does not show when I remove it. I do not bother to dry them on the pick, I live with the flat spot on the bottom. For the white chocolate I put the melted chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag and snip off a tiny corner. When I am done drizzling I throw the whole mess out.

I use Selkie's dipping method. I stick the toothpick in next to a leaf so it does not show when I remove it. I do not bother to dry them on the pick, I live with the flat spot on the bottom. For the white chocolate I put the melted chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag and snip off a tiny corner. When I am done drizzling I throw the whole mess out.
thanks! i am concerned with using plastic because it releases unhealthy chemicals, i have small kids .....i am wondering if such can be done in another way

Roll a sheet of clean paper into a paper cone and snipe off the tip, making a throw-away paper cake-decorator tube.

MommyNY2, if you are concerned about the chemicals in plastic, are you using organic strawberries?

Since organic food is usually a fair bit more expensive than stuff that isn't organic I use this list: The Full List| Environmental Working Group. It rates "not organic" fruits and veigs by how much pesticide is left in them after washing or peeling.

They also have this handy, short version to put in a wallet: EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides hello| Environmental Working Group. You don't have to sign up for the newsletter to get it. Just look for "Rather not sign up? Get the guide here." below the place that asks for your email address.

thanks!
you mean ice cream cone and to use the wax paper for the middle? yes?

nope, i don't use organic food, what about process of "irradiation" by which organic food stays fresh longer........i buy reg. fruits/vegies and wash it under water real well, so what...live in NY air is not crystal here either:)))))))

but for babies i use BPA free, metal fork/plate only!!! i think most mommies do same

thanks!
you mean ice cream cone and to use the wax paper for the middle? yes?

nope, i don't use organic food, what about process of "irradiation" by which organic food stays fresh longer........i buy reg. fruits/vegies and wash it under water real well, so what...live in NY air is not crystal here either:)))))))

but for babies i use BPA free, metal fork/plate only!!! i think most mommies do same

AFAIK most organic food is not irradiated. People who buy organic food generally care about what has been done to their food and don't want it irradiated. That being said, irradiation seems to be a fairly harmless thing to do to food. You do a lose a few nutrients, but that seems to be it.

Those lists are based on food that has been rinsed, washed or peeled, depending on the food. Strawberries are number three on the list of dirtiest (in terms of left over pesticides) fruits and vegis. I only eat strawberries when I can afford the organic ones.

AFAIK most organic food is not irradiated. People who buy organic food generally care about what has been done to their food and don't want it irradiated. That being said, irradiation seems to be a fairly harmless thing to do to food. You do a lose a few nutrients, but that seems to be it.

Those lists are based on food that has been rinsed, washed or peeled, depending on the food. Strawberries are number three on the list of dirtiest (in terms of left over pesticides) fruits and vegis. I only eat strawberries when I can afford the organic ones.

i think each person cares what they buy! people want best options for their families. according to process of irradiation, organic foods go through the process to kill bacteria and to keep food fresh for longer. i don't want to eat food that has been put through radiation, even though (for now) it's considered safe. (before smoking was safe as well but after too many people got sick it's not safe anymore).

it's good to have choices, whoever believes in organic food let it be, i personally don't and it's my choice.

what about meat companies like Perdue, they have packaged chicken that says no hormones added and raised cage free, to me something like that is better option then something that goes through radiation.

in all fairness organic stuff does tastes better,too bad it goes through radiation other wise it may be good choice.

Irradiated food is of ZERO danger to anyone. It does NOT leave a radioactive residue. It's a super low level of a kind of radiation that only kills microbes and does nothing to alter the food the microbes are attached. (Yes, there are different "kinds" of radiation - e.g. Alpha, Beta, Gamma)

Think of it as a germ sterilizer that leaves the food product unchanged.

If people were never told that a particular food was irradiated, they would never Know it!

Last edited:
i think each person cares what they buy! people want best options for their families. according to process of irradiation, organic foods go through the process to kill bacteria and to keep food fresh for longer. i don't want to eat food that has been put through radiation, even though (for now) it's considered safe. (before smoking was safe as well but after too many people got sick it's not safe anymore).

it's good to have choices, whoever believes in organic food let it be, i personally don't and it's my choice.

what about meat companies like Perdue, they have packaged chicken that says no hormones added and raised cage free, to me something like that is better option then something that goes through radiation.

in all fairness organic stuff does tastes better,too bad it goes through radiation other wise it may be good choice.

What makes you think organic food is irradiated? It most certainly is not in Canada?

Irradiated food is of ZERO danger to anyone. It does NOT leave a radioactive residue. It's a super low level of a kind of radiation that only kills microbes and does nothing to alter the food the microbes are attached. (Yes, there are different "kinds" of radiation - e.g. Alpha, Beta, Gamma)

Think of it as a germ sterilizer that leaves the food product unchanged.

If people were never told that a particular food was irradiated, they would never Know it!

i hope so! but most businesses are out there to make money in any way they can and government is likely to back up businesses whatever would be profitable.

What makes you think organic food is irradiated? It most certainly is not in Canada?
about the process of irradiation there are many different articles online on google for example. its a process to keep food lasting longer and getting rid of harmful bacteria such as E.Coli etc.......

i came across organic discussion in some mommy forum, some mommies pro organic and others against, i was just reading about it and they discussed process of irradiation.

i don't think it has to do with Canada versus USA its about keeping food edible and fresh and free of bacteria therefore irradiation process keeps it off........

u know, i have something organic in my fridge,LOL, organic milk for my child my husband and my toddler drink it......:ROFLMAO:

about the process of irradiation there are many different articles online on google for example. its a process to keep food lasting longer and getting rid of harmful bacteria such as E.Coli etc.......

i came across organic discussion in some mommy forum, some mommies pro organic and others against, i was just reading about it and they discussed process of irradiation.

According to this article: Food Irradiation | RadTown USA | US EPA,

"Irradiated food does not meet the definition of organic."

i don't think it has to do with Canada versus USA its about keeping food edible and fresh and free of bacteria therefore irradiation process keeps it off........

Actually, different countries have differing regulations as to what can be called organic, so it can have to do with whether it's in one country or another.

u know, i have something organic in my fridge,LOL, organic milk for my child my husband and my toddler drink it......:ROFLMAO:

I did some more Googling about irradiation of food and came across this symbol:
Radura-Symbol.svg

It's called Radura. It means the food, or some of the ingredients have been treated with ioninzing radiation. If an irradiated ingredient is less than 10% of the total ingredients, it isn't required.

It looks a lot like what I would expect a straight graphic for organic might look like. :ermm:

According to this article: Food Irradiation | RadTown USA | US EPA,

"Irradiated food does not meet the definition of organic."

Actually, different countries have differing regulations as to what can be called organic, so it can have to do with whether it's in one country or another.

Irradiation is a process-i was reading a process that gets rid of E.coli etc. harmful bacteria and possibly prolong for food to stay fresh. In one of parents magazine i read last nite, they suggesting if anything people should go for organic meat....:wacko:

Irradiation is a process-i was reading a process that gets rid of E.coli etc. harmful bacteria and possibly prolong for food to stay fresh. In one of parents magazine i read last nite, they suggesting if anything people should go for organic meat....:wacko:

They are probably suggesting organic meat, because it is a way of knowing for sure that it isn't irradiated.

What is your objection to organic food? Are you talking about certified organic food? I get the feeling we aren't talking about the same thing.

They are probably suggesting organic meat, because it is a way of knowing for sure that it isn't irradiated.

What is your objection to organic food? Are you talking about certified organic food? I get the feeling we aren't talking about the same thing.

as per internet, (google.com) articles suggest that irradiation is the process to get rid of harmful bacteria and prolong shelf life:ermm:

sure, referring to certified organic food.

why do i object to organic food? i simply don't find it necessary especially it going through any amount of radiation process, but it's simply my choice , i know people buy organic food:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom