Coconut Christmas candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txson93

Assistant Cook
I'm a newbie to this site and I'm looking for a Coconut candy recipe. It used to be sold around Christmas time, usually in the bulk in the old time grocery stores. Does anyone remember the candy counters that had the glass lids? Well, what I'm trying to find is a recipe for hard candy, it was hard flakes with coconut in it, light brown in color and you had to be careful not to bite too hard into it or you could break a tooth!! Surely someone remembers it and can help me with a recipe.

Kenn

Sounds like a brittle. This is a good recipe.

Coconut Brittle
1 c Dark brown sugar, packed
1 c Light corn syrup
1 tb Butter, and extra for cookie sheet
1 ts Cider vinegar
1 1/2 c Grated coconut

1.Stir togetherr the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vinegar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sugar dissolves.
2.Cover tightly and cook about 2-3 minutes, or until all sugar crystals have melted down from the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook without stirring until the mixture reaches the hard ball stage, 300F on the candy thermometer.
3.Generously butter a deep cookie sheet . Remove saucepan from heat and carefully stir in the coconut.
4.Spread mixture evenly onto prepared cookie sheet and let cool completely. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

On a quick Google search I found the following recipe for you...is either of these posts what you were after???

Coconut Christmas Candy
Ingredients:
3 cups coconut
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
almond bark, vanilla or chocolate flavor

Directions: Combine all ingredients except almond bark. Mix well. Press into cookie cutters (open metal). Chill one hour.

Melt almond bark. Dip and coat candy as desired. Set on wax paper to set up. Freeze up to two months. To serve, thaw at room temperature.

Copyright 2002 by TheOmahaChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Coconut Candies

Cut out fun shaped candies and decorate with candy coating or roll candies into balls and dip into candy coating.

Candy Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup cold plain mashed potatoes (no salt, butter or milk)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Decorations Ingredients:
Chocolate or vanilla candy coating, melted
Prepared frosting
Combine all candy ingredients in large mixer bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (2 to 3 minutes). Press coconut mixture onto waxed paper or parchment-lined 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Roll flat and even with rolling pin. Cover; freeze 1 hour.
Remove from freezer; invert onto surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Cut into desired shapes with 1 1/2 to 2-inch assorted cookie cutters or roll into 1-inch balls. Dip candies into or decorate with melted candy coating. Decorate with frosting. Store frozen.
Makes 15 candies.

Nutrition Facts (1 candy):
Calories: 130
Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 25 mg
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Dietary Fiber: <1 g
Protein: 0 g

Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Land O Lakes, Inc.

I remember the sweet shops that had glass counters, gosh that makes me sound OLD !
they do not have them now days everything has gone modern !!I still make " coconut candy" at Christmas for all my family, as it is not commercially made any more, here is my recipe...
1 pound of brown sugar
1.5 ozs of butter
1/3 pint of water
2 level tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of vinegar
Put all the ingredients in a strong saucepan and stir over a low heat till all the sugar has melted. Bring to the boil , now add the coconut about 2 ozs, I use..
keep boiling till it reaches the hard crack stage, it is now ready to pour into a buttered tin ,allow it to set, I mark it out into small pieces at this stage, now just leave to set till cold, then break it up and most of all "enjoy it "
happy cooking ..
VIV...
Simple things in life are the best..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom