Going from homemade candies to more store bought quaility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dishwashermaster

Assistant Cook
I've been making gummy bears and worms for awhile now, and now im interested in making my own brand and selling on ebay and amazon, but jello gummies are just to basic to be worth paying the extra few dollars. Which adding couple more cents of ingreidents per gummy can really spice it up.

I'm assuming that all i really need to do, to make my jello gummy's 10x tastier and more store bought before i buy packaging is too get flavor concentrate and maybe sugar the outsides.

so i guess my question for the forum is

1. what is best concentrate for gummys or maybe even hard candy if I diverse my product do i use(powder, liquid concentrate etc?)
2. how would i go about sugarying the outsides? would i cool them in the molds then maybe oil and into a container of sugar?

The first thing that I would encourage you to do is check with an attorney.

A home cook making and selling food products without proper safety precautions, licensing, insurance, labeling, etc... seems like a risky and dangerous enterprise.

I agree with Aunt Bea. I don't know which state you reside in so I would urge you to start with the laws there.

There are several channels you can go thru on your own, provided you know about the departments of Government in your State, Town, and Locality.
In West Virginia about a year ago they made it legal to cook food in your home and take it out to sell in public. (no inspection of the kitchens, no Serv Safe, and I'm not sure if County inspectors are even involved as in a "food handlers card" or TB skin test) Then if they go to Farmers tail gate markets or other such week end events and are permitted to sell there, they come under the insurance of that event.

If you want to be in small business I would offer you this great free source:
(This organization was created by an act of Congress and is now in it's 50'th year of service and it is free)

http://score.org

They offer online courses and have volunteer Mentors who can meet with you online or (distance permitting) in person.

Their Library is loaded with info and is free. (you can use a navigation bar that says "Narrow By" to fine tune your searches.

https://www.score.org/content/browse-library

You can also find the location closest to you. (or someone in the greater organization with the unique experience to help you)

The first thing that I would encourage you to do is check with an attorney.

A home cook making and selling food products without proper safety precautions, licensing, insurance, labeling, etc... seems like a risky and dangerous enterprise.

Okay before i paying thousands of dollars for these licenses, insurance and labeling i want to see with my own eyes and mouth i can make something to beat the other brands.

I dont need business help the title of the thread was how to make homemade gummys taste store bought. Not how to make a business with jello gummies that taste like garbage, even with licenses and insurance no ones gonna pay more for something nasty when their compeition does 100x better.

Last edited:
I agree with Aunt Bea. I don't know which state you reside in so I would urge you to start with the laws there.

There are several channels you can go thru on your own, provided you know about the departments of Government in your State, Town, and Locality.
In West Virginia about a year ago they made it legal to cook food in your home and take it out to sell in public. (no inspection of the kitchens, no Serv Safe, and I'm not sure if County inspectors are even involved as in a "food handlers card" or TB skin test) Then if they go to Farmers tail gate markets or other such week end events and are permitted to sell there, they come under the insurance of that event.

(This organization was created by an act of Congress and is now in it's 50'th year of service and it is free)

They offer online courses and have volunteer Mentors who can meet with you online or (distance permitting) in person.

Their Library is loaded with info and is free. (you can use a navigation bar that says "Narrow By" to fine tune your searches.

You can also find the location closest to you. (or someone in the greater organization with the unique experience to help you)

ok so can you answer my thread please, I dont think this is a business forum this is for cooking and baking.

my questions were
1. what is best concentrate for gummys or maybe even hard candy if I diverse my product do i use(powder, liquid concentrate etc?)
2. how would i go about sugarying the outsides? would i cool them in the molds then maybe oil and into a container of sugar?

I meant to say in thread im not selling these i want to make store bought flavored gummies not dirty cheap jello flavored ones what concentrate do i use for that?

the commercial flavoring pastes are not available to the public.
You're kinda backing into it without commercial experience.

Back
Top Bottom