Gummy candy - mold problem, help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zette

Assistant Cook
using unflavored gelatin, flavored gelatin, and citric acid in my gummy candies has not kept them from molding. any suggestions as to what else i could add or replace to preserve them? i've already tried different storage methods and freezing them changes the texture to a hard chewy consistency.

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Mold is everywhere. Keep the candy in an air tight container. Mold spores travel through the air.
There are some ways to reduce mold in your home.
Clean your refrigerator every few months with a food safe cleaning solution. One recommendation is to use one tablespoon of baking soda in three quarts of water. Rinse with clear water and dry.
Scrub the rubber seals of your refrigerator with a solution of three teaspoons of bleach in a quart of water. If the seals look black, there is likely mold there.
Keep dish cloths, towels, sponges, and mops as clean as you can. If they smell even a little musty they can be a prime environment for mold to grow.
Keep the humidity in your house as low as you can. This can be difficult if you live in an area that typically has high relative humidity.
As far as an additive for preventing mold, I have little or no experience in this. We keep very little candy on hand, homemade or otherwise.

Hoot, I think she means a problem with molding/forming the gummy candies...not with mold growing on them.

I took her problem to be mold growing on her candy also since she mentions preserving and storage. I've never attempted making shaped gummy candy at home so have I no suggestion.

I wonder if sprinkling them with sugar or confectioners sugar would help keep them drier and help prevent mould.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom