Hard Candy Making Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brent

Assistant Cook
I keep trying to make candies, plain; sugar,corn syrup, and water, etc. But they always turn out so hard that after 30 minutes of sucking on them they dont even change size and you CANT bite into them. Whats going on and please give me some tips thank you :)

Welcome to DC!

I trust you are using a candy thermometer? Once at the Hard crack stage you should be good. The addition of a little more corn syrup might help the "texture".

sound to me like you might have invented the REAL ever lasting gobstoper! I'd hang on to it!:)

Post your recipe and your process here, I'm sure that will make it easier for us to help, and I know I'd be interested in a recipe for hard candy that lasts for that long!

Hello

Candy thermometer is what you are going to need...then you can learn the different stages of cooking candy....
thread 220-232 F
soft ball 234-240 F
Firm ball 244-248 F
hard ball 250-266F
soft crack 270-290 F
hard crack 290-305 F
caramel 305-340 F

These stages are basically how hard the candy will be at any certain temp...different elevations change that temp but those are a great starting point...use a thermometer and check out what you are cooking it to....

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com

let us know how it turns out...and yes it probaby does mean an oil based flavoring when the recipe addresses that but you can also use extracts like vanilla as well and it will work just fine...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com/vb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom