Hard Candy Taste Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agoetz2005

Assistant Cook
Hi all first post.

I've been trying to make some hard candy that my aunt called "hammer Candy". Basically hard candy poured into a pan then smacked with a hammer to break it up.

My first 2 attempts failed miserably as I used extracts, and not oils.

My 3rd attempt turned out well enough, but all of the flavor is gone in the first 30-45 seconds, and then it is just hard sugar. What did I do wrong?

Recipe
3 cups Sugar
1 Cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
1 Cup filtered water
1 tbsp Cinnamon Candy Flavoring Oil
1 tsp Red Food Coloring.

I added the first 3 ingredients, and the candy thermometer in, and stirred lightly to dissolve, but stirred no further than that.

I heated to 260 and added the color, added the flavor at 280, and removed just above 305, and poured into my greased pan.

The candy hardened dead clear, and fell out of the pan in one piece when flipped over. It felt oily to the touch and my eyes stung slightly from the cinnamon vapor.

Now when you eat it, it is VERY CINNAMON for about 30 seconds then tapers off. I rinsed a piece for 1 minute under cool water and there was just the slightest, tiniest hint of cinnamon in what was left.

Did I add the flavor too late and it didn't mix?

Did I add the flavor too early and it boiled off?

The flavor looks to be from the 80's or earlier. It is in a 1oz glass jar with a $0.64 price tag on it, but is specifically labeled "Candy Flavoring Oil"

Any help would be great. Thanks.

My experience with any sugar mixture you boil at high temperatures, you add the flavouring (and the colour too I guess), after you remove it from the heat. You don't let it cool or anything, just add after you remove it from the heat source.

Depending what type of colouring you use, yes, it could have evaporated in the boiling process.

Hope this helps!

The recipe I had specifically stated to add the coloring and flavoring at the times listed.

I will try again by having the color and oil in the same container, and pouring it in as I lift the pan from the heat.

Thanks for the tip.

It may have been, but the only ingredients are oil and Cinnamon so I don't see it going bad.

Where can I find flavorings in local stores? I tried Supertarget, Food Lion, Kroger, and Publix, and they all have alcohol diluted extracts which make it taste terrible.

It may have been, but the only ingredients are oil and Cinnamon so I don't see it going bad.

Where can I find flavorings in local stores? I tried Supertarget, Food Lion, Kroger, and Publix, and they all have alcohol diluted extracts which make it taste terrible.

Probably wouldn't go bad, but the essences can evaporate.

Oh, no, it didn't evaporate. My kitchen still smells heavily of cinnamon, and I made the candy last Wednesday. The bottle had never been opened.

If I could find a local source, I would buy it there. Otherwise, I'll have to order flavoring Oils.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom