Help with cutting melted candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mmitch5227

Assistant Cook
I need help figuring out the best way to cut melted hard candies into shapes. I've melted hard candy before and broken them into jagged pieces, but now I need to figure out how to cut into shapes. My plan is to melt blue jolly ranchers and cut into squares and rectangles. I'm making an Anrgy Birds cake for my sons Birthday and need these for the "glass" blocks. Ive seen using cookie cutters but you would be surprised how hard it is to find regular shaped cookie cutters, planes, cats, and trees all day long but no squares. THANK YOU!

Before the candy has reset to hard ball stage, use a hot edge of a knife while the candy is still a little soft, and not quite brittle. You have to be quick though, real quick. If you have a heat lamp handy, it may help to keep things pliable until you are ready for them to set.

I am sure though that your local cake/baking supply store would have every shape under the sun, then it would just be a matter of while everything is still molten, pouring molds.

No help from me with the candy melting, but for the molds you could use tinsnips to cut molds from smooth tin cans or thin pieces of tin from the hardware store. Just wash them well first and wear gloves. Even heavy duty aluminum foil quadrupled into strips and formed into squares might work. Another thought is old fashioned metal ice cube trays, with the mini cube insets.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll have to try that.

There aren't really any baking supply stores in my area, I wish there was. It's basically Walmart and target for me. :(

Ive been toying with the idea of making the glass balls from the game too. Any ideas on how to make jolly rancher orbs?

Hmm. Maybe get some little DumDum lollypops and dip them in melted blue Jolly Rogers candy? Let dry, then remove the sticks.

Last edited:
It seems like what you are trying to create is similar to windows in a ginger bread house. Have you done a Google search on something like that? There's all kinds of information on sugar glass sheeting and forming.

I make my own hard candies on a regular basis, and I rarely find myself with enough time to cut, or even stretch the candy into a strand. I think this is something that requires a hot table.

The best I have managed to do is make markings using a bench scraper, and then I snapped the pieces off after cooling. Maybe consider using a ruler stick (a clean one). I warn you though, this can be risky. Over the years I have manage to get a few cuts and blisters working with this stuff. I have heard of cases where people have cut themselves bad enough to need stitching.

https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8611-sheet-mold-rectangle-breakup.aspx

I use these molds sometimes. They work okay. They are very flexible. The hard part is pouring them to that perfect spot so they don't all attach as one piece at the tops. They don't seem like they can handle the 300 degree candy, but they've survived at least a dozen of my batches.

Good luck :)

I'm not sure how large the pieces are that you need, but there are a variety of silicone icecube trays out there that you might use as molds. Both target and sears carry them as well as a variety of other places...

icecube1.jpg icecube2.jpg

icecube3.jpg

Ooo didn't even think of an ice cube tray. I know there had to be some kind of silicone molds I could use. This should just narrow the search.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom