Help with gummi bear candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fincher

Senior Cook
Yesterday I made some gummi candy at work for a party that has kids. I thought they would like some homemade gummi candy that contains only real fruit.

I wanted to make gummi bears but I don't have molds. I tried using a plastic container from a box of chocolates. but the gummi stuck to the plastic.

what I wound up doing was putting a silicone silpat on a half sheet pan and pouring the candy on it. I let it sit in the fridge till it firmed up and gelled. I plan on taking cookie cutters and just cutting out shapes.

My question is does anyone have any tips on making molds? or ways to keep the gummi bears from sticking? cornstarch? powdered sugar? citric acid?
and will these things taint the color of the finished gummis? If you have other ideas or methods I'd love to hear them.

or perhaps someone knows where to buy some silicone molds of gummi bears, that might work.

I'm off today and plan on making some more at home. I have strawberries, rasberries and blueberries. lots of sheet gelatine and some natural citric acid. It should be fun! I'll take pics if anyone wants.

I think silicone molds would be the best route but I'm not sure you can buy the real "gummi bear" molds. Depending upon the ages of the kids involved, I find kids who like gummies really like the bizarre and somewhat gross shapes like spiders and bugs, sharks, etc. But teen and tween girls might love little gummi roses and other flowers. And yes, I would love to see pics of your creations!

Back
Top Bottom