Help with making nougat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tazza

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys,
If any one can help me with tips on making nougat it would be much appreciated. I have downloaded about 10 nougat recipes online and have been experimenting with them. I have make it about 20 times now and the flavor has been great but the consistancy has been very bad, to soft, to dry, sugar lumps etc.

1/ I would like to now is there a way to melt sugar without caramelizing it as everytime I melt the sugar it becomes brown on medium heat and on low heat it seems that the sugar never melts.

2/ I wipe the egg whites seperately until soft peaks form. Then I have to add the melted sugar/honey mixture when it reaches the hardball or brittle stage. The problem I have found here is that when I pour it in a steady stream in the egg whites with the mixture constantly on the sugar/honey mixture doesn't mix in well and brittle pieces go in the egg whites. (It worked for me once and that was it).

Thank you,
Tazza

I don't know as though I can offer any advice, but I am curious if you wouldn't mind sharing your favorite recipe so far. I have always wanted to try making a Nougat.

-Brad

making nougat

Hi everyone,
Ok I will share some nougat recipes later on when the kids are asleep.
bye bye for now.
Tazza

Nougat can be very difficult....
First thing....use a candy thermometer to bring the sugar mixture to your exact temperature. The reason your nougat is too soft is most likely because you arn't at the right temp....if the sugar is turning brown you have gone to high of a temp(305 F or above)...let me konw your recipe and I might be able to help...keep trying...nougat can be frustrating...

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com

Back
Top Bottom