Homemade Peppermint Patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
My husband loves York brand Peppermint Patty candies.
The other day I saw on one of these newfangled social media what-evers,
a recipe, well I think that it's more like a technique myself, for
homemade Peppermint Patties
Ok, I'm game.

015.JPG

016.JPG

The recipe said that the yield was 50 pieces, I got 67

Pretty straight forward:

3 C. Powdered or Confectioners Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
1/2 C. Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 oz. Dipping or Candy making Chocolate, like Ghiraradelli Dark Melting Waffers or any type of Chocolate you prefer with a bit of vegetable oil stirred in

Mix the 1st three ingredients together in a large bowl,
until it forms a stiff dough
(I used my KA w/the dough hook attachment-much easier ;))
Roll out, on a surface dusted with more powdered sugar, 1/4 thick
Cut out 1" rounds
(any bigger and they won't dip nicely,oh, and I used the top off of a discarded aspirin bottle, approx. 1 inch)
Place on a tray lined with waxed paper, chill for 30 minutes
Working in batches,
Dip in melted waffers or chocolate w/oil
Place back on the tray
Chill again for 30 minutes
DEVOUR!
020.JPG
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the `fridge.

The whole house smelled so good, and I was SOOO sticky all over :stuart:

Thanks for posting this recipe. I've made something similar in the past but the filling was a little different using sugar, butter, cream and oil instead of evaporated milk. The paste gets rolled and chilled, then sliced before coating. I wonder if the evaporated milk gives a better flavor?

If you are going to roll them out - why not just cut in squares?

Thanks for posting this recipe. I've made something similar in the past but the filling was a little different using sugar, butter, cream and oil instead of evaporated milk. The paste gets rolled and chilled, then sliced before coating. I wonder if the evaporated milk gives a better flavor?

Interesting... Easier and less waste/handling?

Ross

Those look wonderful and sound pretty easy. Thanks for sharing, kgirl! Sharing this with my daughter - it sounds like a fun goodie for us to try out for Christmas. :yum::)

Janet, the texture it different from the real thing, not as, well gritty nor runny. At times, York Peppermint Patty is 'off', maybe old, I don't know. But this recipe is a wonderful Peppermint pattie.
And what a great idea, roll the dough into a log and simply slice them!
Just my opinion, but square patties wouldn't so it for me ;)

Interesting... Easier and less waste/handling?

Ross

... And yes Ross, less waste, although the last bit that I could roll & cut, I made into a bon bon if you will
018.JPG

My husband loves York brand Peppermint Patty candies.
The other day I saw on one of these newfangled social media what-evers,
a recipe, well I think that it's more like a technique myself, for
homemade Peppermint Patties
Ok, I'm game.

View attachment 29410

View attachment 29411

The recipe said that the yield was 50 pieces, I got 67

Pretty straight forward:

3 C. Powdered or Confectioners Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
1/2 C. Sweetened Condensed Milk
8 oz. Dipping or Candy making Chocolate, like Ghiraradelli Dark Melting Waffers or any type of Chocolate you prefer with a bit of vegetable oil stirred in

Mix the 1st three ingredients together in a large bowl,
until it forms a stiff dough
(I used my KA w/the dough hook attachment-much easier ;))
Roll out, on a surface dusted with more powdered sugar, 1/4 thick
Cut out 1" rounds
(any bigger and they won't dip nicely,oh, and I used the top off of a discarded aspirin bottle, approx. 1 inch)
Place on a tray lined with waxed paper, chill for 30 minutes
Working in batches,
Dip in melted waffers or chocolate w/oil
Place back on the tray
Chill again for 30 minutes
DEVOUR!
View attachment 29412
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the `fridge.

The whole house smelled so good, and I was SOOO sticky all over :stuart:

I should have added a tip here that towards the end of the process, the cut rounds started to get too soft, I guess not cold enough anymore? So I tucked then into the freezer prior to the last round of dipping.
67 pieces of candy is alot :yum:

Here's the filling recipe I've used in the past - it's essentially butter cream icing:

4 Cups powdered sugar
3 Tbl butter
2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 Tbl cream

Mix together and then roll in plastic wrap forming a cylinder and chill until firm. Slice into rings and dip.

Handy hint: Use a chunk of pvc pipe or paper towel cardboard (or wrapping paper center tube) as a sleeve for the chilling dough. It keeps the dough from developing a flat side as it rests. I do this for refrigerator cookies as well.

Last edited:
Here's the filling recipe I've used in the past - it's essentially butter cream icing:

4 powdered sugar
3 Tbl butter
2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 Tbl cream

Mix together and then roll in plastic wrap forming a cylinder and chill until firm. Slice into rings and dip.

Handy hint: Use a chunk of pvc pipe or paper towel cardboard (or wrapping paper center tube) as a sleeve for the chilling dough. It keeps the dough from developing a flat side as it rests. I do this for refrigerator cookies as well.

Cups?

Thank you for the tip. That would also be nice for compound butter.

Last edited:
Can this be used?

Baker's Dipping Chocolate - Real Milk Chocolate

231430.png

4 Cups powdered sugar
3 Tbl butter
2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 Tbl cream

YEAH! It does, doesn't it! I like the idea of the PVC!
This dough that I made is really stiff, which is why I used the dough hook on it for several minutes I might add.

Back
Top Bottom