"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Is it possible to create hard sugar candies that donít melt?

I’m an MFA student, with few culinary skills, and I have been trying to create edible sugar arrows that will not melt when on display. Currently they can’t even be in contact with the air/humidity in my studio for less than ten minutes without getting sticky and adhering themselves to my table.

The bit of research I have done talked about a lack of humidity, which is difficult as I live in Florida and do most of my cooking either in my studio or in the shop (surprisingly the shop has much more temperature/humidity control).

I just started reading about isomalt last night, but am still unsure if that’s going to solve my problem?

The current recipe I have been using is:
(which works really great for my sugar caltrops, which I want to melt)

3 ĺ cup granulated sugar
1 Ĺ cup light corn syrup
1 cup water

A professor said that perhaps there was some sort of “fibrous” ingredient I could add that might keep it from melting? In a different conversation he had jokingly mentioned adding in some arrowroot and now I’m seriously considering it; even though I have no idea what it would do to my sugar, lol.

Maybe what I’m hoping to accomplish isn’t even possible?
But any advice would be greatly appreciated; even if the advice is that I'm waisting my time, lol.

kay_peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay_peep View Post
Iím an MFA student, with few culinary skills, and I have been trying to create edible sugar arrows that will not melt when on display. Currently they canít even be in contact with the air/humidity in my studio for less than ten minutes without getting sticky and adhering themselves to my table.

The bit of research I have done talked about a lack of humidity, which is difficult as I live in Florida and do most of my cooking either in my studio or in the shop (surprisingly the shop has much more temperature/humidity control).

I just started reading about isomalt last night, but am still unsure if thatís going to solve my problem?

The current recipe I have been using is:
(which works really great for my sugar caltrops, which I want to melt)

3 ĺ cup granulated sugar
1 Ĺ cup light corn syrup
1 cup water

A professor said that perhaps there was some sort of ďfibrousĒ ingredient I could add that might keep it from melting? In a different conversation he had jokingly mentioned adding in some arrowroot and now Iím seriously considering it; even though I have no idea what it would do to my sugar, lol.

Maybe what Iím hoping to accomplish isnít even possible?
But any advice would be greatly appreciated; even if the advice is that I'm waisting my time, lol.
Try adding acid, lemon juice or cream of tartar, if that doesn't help buy some isomalt sugar.
gerardj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, sugar