ISO best dipping chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I am wondering, what is the best kind of chocolate to use to dip candies in, that will harden when cool, but, be runny enough when hot, to not clump up on the candies when dipping them. I usually use chips and gulf wax, but, I'm trying to stay away from the waxy taste to the chocolate.

I usually use Ghiradelli with just a tiny bit of vegetable oil in it. The oil keeps it from clumping and as long as you don't use too much the chocolate still hardens, just with a touch of sheen to it (thanks to the oil). Ghiradelli is a happy-medium of quality for me. Cheaper than the high-end ones I'd really love to be able to use and better than a Hershey or grocery store brand. Check Wal-Mart. I get 4 oz bars there for a little under $2.

I didn't think about Ghiradelli. Thanks PA.
I'm making some oreo dreams for my Aunt and Mammaw for this weekend, and when the chocolate is too thick, it takes too long to dip them.

You can use any chocolate with the 'dab of oil' trick as PA baker says; the caveat is that the better the chocolate, the better it'll taste!

I like Ghiardelli, and also love Callabaut if you can find it (Whole Foods carries it), because of its creaminess.

Thank you both so much!!!

So, how much oil/chocolate ratio should I use? I'm not sure how the Ghiradelli comes, but, I would probably use a whole box of the bakers chocolate, for camparison, I think that's about 8 squares?

Each square is an oz so if 8 squares come in a Baker's box, that would be 8 oz. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Ghiradelli comes in 4 oz bars so you'd need two to equal a Baker's box.

I'd start with a tsp of oil for that amount. You can always add more but once you put in too much you're stuck. I just go by look and feel so I can't be more exact. Sorry!

texasgirl said:
I am wondering, what is the best kind of chocolate to use to dip candies in, that will harden when cool, but, be runny enough when hot, to not clump up on the candies when dipping them. I usually use chips and gulf wax, but, I'm trying to stay away from the waxy taste to the chocolate.

In general, bar chocolates melt more smoothly than chips because the chips contain emulsifiers that help them keep their shape when you bake them into a cookie. The better the chocolate, and the darker, the more cocoa butter, the more smoothly it will melt. Milk chocolate for instance has all that milk in it which interferes in the smooth melting.

If you temper good chocolate properly, without adding any oil, it's the perfect thing to dip fillings into, and it hardens with that nice snap when you break it, and leaves a nice clear shiny finish.

Chefcyn gets my nod here. There is simply no better way to dip candies than into well-tempered chocolate. Way back in the old days of this site, I posted a verbose instructional on tempering and I do believe I recall discussing the subject ad nauseum with Marmalady! If it is no longer available, let me know and I will be most happy to rewrite.

Without question, tempering offers a snap than cannot be duplicated...that delicate coating, so thin, but so crisp. I still make a short ton of candies regularly and prefer E. Guittard chocolates for the good stuff, but even chocolate chips can be tempered. Warning: If you ever begin to use the Sharffenbergers and E. Guittards, you'll be hooked for life! There is just no substitute for a good chocolate!

oooh thanx so much i tried cadbury eating chocolate to coat candies (ok i didn't really think that through at all first)...will work much better next time!! thanx for asking the question texasgirl as i was wondering about the same sort of thing

Here are a couple of "Golden Oldies" threads you might want to look at:

Tempering a la Jacque Torres: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4411&highlight=tempering

Tempering a la Audeo: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5727&highlight=tempering

If you look up in the right hand corner of the screen right under where it says "Welcome, texasgirl" you'll see a "Search" button on that blue task bar .... it's a great way to find old DC posts pertaining to something.

Back
Top Bottom