ISO help/advice on making peanut brittle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/sesame_brittle/

This recipe was awful. Lol. But the consistency was pretty good. Can peanut butter be substituted instead of the sesame seed? I would like to avoid the corn syrup often put in peanut brittle. And was also thinking if there was a way to incorporate blueberry and raspberry to peanut brittle it might be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I see with putting blueberries or raspberries into peanut brittle with be the moisture in them - even dried berries would probably cause severe splattering, due to the high temp of the syrup.

corn syrup is an invert sugar, and prevents sugar syrups from crystalizing. This is i [otant when making fudge, taffe, carmel,and other sugar confections.

The sugar can be replaced with molasses, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, and sugar alcohols. However, the corn syrup can only be replaced with glucose.

Other ideas for flavoring your brittle ight be to change up the sugar with one of the other sweeteners listed above. You can also replace the peanuts with pecan, or walnut pieces, macadamia nuts, cashew, hazle onuts, chopped Brazil nuts, pistachios, etc. You may not be able to use fresh, or dried fruit in you brittle. You can add fruit syrups to the liquid caramel before it gets to hot. You can also use freeze-dried fruit, or fruit powders.

Adding coarse salt, like what is on pretzels will give you a salted caramel flavor. And then there are always shattered candy canes, and minys that can be added (but not to my brittle as I detest candy mint flavors).

Hope this helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

corn syrup is an invert sugar, and prevents sugar syrups from crystalizing. This is i [otant when making fudge, taffe, carmel,and other sugar confections.

The sugar can be replaced with molasses, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup, and sugar alcohols. However, the corn syrup can only be replaced with glucose.
<snip>
Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I haven't tried making brittles, but I know that you don't need any corn syrup when making fudge, though many recipes include it. I was told that stirring the stuff that condenses on the wall of the pot into the liquid you are heating is what causes sugar crystals to form.

Where is freeze dried fruit or fruit powder purchased? And is there anyway to soften the final recipe? The final result is like breakaway glasses. Anyway to make it more chewy?

If you want chewy, you should consider taffy or nougat recipes. A perfect peanut brittle IS like breakaway glass. The thinner you can get the glaze the better.

Where is freeze dried fruit or fruit powder purchased? And is there anyway to soften the final recipe? The final result is like breakaway glasses. Anyway to make it more chewy?
Trader Joe's has many freeze-dried fruits. I eat the strawberries as a snack.

tj_fd-fruit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom