Naked Caramels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Last night I screwed up my courage and made caramels! Hot sugar scares me just a little but I LOVE caramels and am always disappointed by the ones from the store. They came out wonderfully but I am wondering about how to wrap them nicely. The recipe says to wrap in bits of wax paper. This works but looks ugly. Any suggestions for finding a better solution next time? BTW - these are amazing and there is NO corn syrup needed.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp vanilla

6 tbsp butter, cut into a few pieces

1-1/3 cups light brown sugar
Preparation:

1. Butter a small (6x6 inch) square pan.
2. Combine sugar, cream, butter, vanilla, and 1 TBL water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter is melted.
3. Bring to boil and cover for 3 minutes.
4. Uncover, but do not stir! Continue boiling until candy thermometer reads 250 degrees.
5. Pour caramel into the prepared pan. Score and cut when mostly cool.

you could probably use clear plastic wrapping paper if you wanted. For the holidays I also like using regular wrapping paper to wrap candies, but it depends on the consistency of the candies. If they're too moist they'll stick to the paper and you'll just have a mess.

What do you use for your prepared pan? Never made anything like this and you like to give it ago.

Thank you

Nick

Back
Top Bottom