Need some help with making brittle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Every year my mom and I make peanut brittle for the holidays. This year we are planning on making a mixed nut brittle. But that is not the problem. The problem we are having is our brittle is not turning out as light and foamy as I would like. I think that we might be spreading it too much after we pour the brittle into a jelly roll pan.

Here is the recipe that we are thinking of using this year. As you can see it does not say anything about spreading the brittle. So, hopefully one of you can help.

Thanks, SC

Butter-Nut Brittle

2 c sugar​
1 c light corn syrup
1 c water
3 c unsalted dry roasted mixed nuts
2 T butter or margarine
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda

Mix sugar, syrup and water in a large heavy saucepan. Cover and heat to boiling. Uncover and cook rapidly to 236° on candy thermometer. (Soft ball stage)

Stir in nuts slowly, keeping mixture bubbling. Cook rapidly, stirring constantly, to hard ball stage. (280°)
Stir in butter continue cooking to 300°
Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla: sprinkle soda over top quickly, then stir vigorously about 15 seconds or until mixture is puffy.
Pour at once into greased baking pan 15x10x1"
Cool completely.

Break into bite size pieces.
Store in a container that has a tight fitting lid.​

Last edited:
Here's my recipe:

Peanut Brittle
Yields: 2 #

2 c Sugar
1 c Light corn syrup
1 c Water
1 T Margarine or butter
2 c Peanuts
1 t Vanilla
1 t Baking soda

Generously butter 2 cookies sheets. In large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage (300ºF.), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour onto cookie sheets; spread as thin as possible. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in airtight container in cool dry place.

As you can see, there isn't really that much difference between your and mine, except the amount of butter, nuts, vanilla, and soda.

Since you use twice as much soda as I do to the same ratio of sugars, I'd say your brittle should automatically be lighter than mine. However, you mentioned your "pulled" your brittle to make it thin. I recently read a thread somewhere on this website that mentioned pulling brittle breaks the air bubbles in the candy, resulting in a heavier candy.

I would suggest pouring the candy out onto a greased jelly roll pan while it's still very hot, then tilting the pan to let the candy flow into a thinner sheet. This is how I make a nice, light, thin, candy.

Thanks, Allen for your answer. :) We have always pulled the brittle and it makes sense that doing that would break the air bubbles making it heavier. We will be making some in a couple of weeks to sell at a crafts faire. I will let you know how it turns out.

:) I don't have any brittle recipes.. but this is a fantastic rocha.

Nut Rocha!!

Description:
candy bar heaven!

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 11 1/2 oz package of milk chocolate pieces (I used a little more)
1 cup finely chopped nuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts,and or cashews (you may toast nuts for a fuller flavor if you want.)

Directions:
Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan: Set aside.

In a 3-quart saucepan melt butter.
Stir in sugar, corn syrup and water.
Cook over medium high heat until boiling.
stirring until sugar has desolved.
Avoid splashing the sides of the pan.
Carefully clip candy thermometer to the pan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degrees (soft-crack stage. (about 15 minutes)
Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface.
Remove from heat.

Pour mixture in to prepared pan and spread evenly.
Cool about 5 minutes or until top is set.
sprinkle on the chocolate chips and lets stand for two minutes. Spread chocolate over candy.
Sprinkle with nuts and press them gently into chocolate. Cool several hours or until set.

Use foil to lift candy out of pan. Break in to small pieces. Store in tightly covered container... I keep mine in the refrig. so chocolate doesn't melt. ENJOY!!!!!:chef::chef:

Back
Top Bottom