Old Fudge Recipe Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kliewerm

Assistant Cook
My mother used to make a delicious fudge that called for "pull fudge with silver knife". I remember her sitting in a chair and scooping some of the fudge out of the bowl and pulling it up, almost like you'd do with taffy. I don't know for how long you do this, or if you are looking for a specific change in the fudge. Anyone have any idea? I'd love to taste it once more.
Thank you.

Mary

Wish I knew, tried to Google it and came up with nothing.

Welcome to DC! I hope we are more help with other questions. Maybe one of our older members remembers this technique.

I have a recipe that starts with butter, sugar, evap milk that gets cooked to a certain point before you add chocolate or peanut butter or whatever, and then you are supposed to stir until it's shiny and glossy, so I would assume pulling it would accomplish the same thing. I will say there is a VERY fine line between shiny and glossy, and grainy and coarse. You have to be very aware as too much, you have grainy and coarse. Too little and it won't harden properly.

You list your location as "Harleysville" and if that's the Pennsylvania one, perhaps you could do some sleuthing among the Pennsylvania Dutch residents of your area. It might be an old recipe that could be attributed to that community.

Last edited:
I could only find one recipe that mentioned a silver knife, "A Delicious Chocolate Candy", take a look.

https://books.google.com/books?id=u...e&q=lifting fudge with a silver knife&f=false

When I was a kid we made a fudge similar to the one that medtran mentioned, we cooled it over a dishpan of snow and beat it with a spoon until it became dull and started to set up. Once it reached that stage you had to work fast. Sometimes the results were smooth and fine grained sometimes it was like a dull chocolate rock, it always disappeared. If it had not been cooked long enough it never set up and made a nice sauce for ice cream.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom