Peanut Brittle problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czechmate55

Assistant Cook
I've been making peanut brittle for several years and tried making some today. My recipe (as well as some others) take the candy to 300 degrees. For some reason, the batches I made today, the candy burnt before it even reached 250 degrees. Could it be because I used a different brand peanuts? Or is it something else? I'm really bummed and hoped to take some into work on Monday :(
Thanks!

Did you use an off brand of sugar? Sometimes that can be the problem.

A few years ago I came across a recipe to make peanut brittle in the microwave. Im not a big fan of using the microwave , other than to make popcorn, but I must say, this recipe was quick, easy and worked well each time. Im not sure how it measures up to peanut brittle made the conventional way, but to me it was very good.

Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I've used this recipe a lot, also use it to make almond and macadamia brittle. Never had a fail and we like it a lot. Plus, the house smells wonderful from the cooking nut aroma. Very quick to make and clean-up is a breeze too, just the bowl and a spoon, and you put those in the sink with some hot water, let sit for a while to dissolve brittle mix, and then just wash up.

I recently started making peanut brittle, and had a lovely batch one day, then the batch on the next day turned out tacky and sticky when chewed. I did some research and found out the humidity makes a difference. This made sense in my case, because it was raining cats and dogs on the second day, while all of the other variables were the same. Did you happen to notice the weather when you were cooking recent batches?

Hello czechmate55,

I was wondering a couple things about your peanut brittle recipe.

What amounts of sugar and water do you use for the boiling process?
Are you using corn syrup in your recipe?
How long have you had this candy thermometer?

The rate at which sugar heats increases the less water you use. Don't be afraid to use extra, it will boil away.

It may be the thermometer, as the other have suggested test it in boiling water. If it still work properly, try keeping an eye on the sugar boiling process. I find at around 250F the mix will shift and become noticeably thicker and the bubbles are slowing down but lasting longer. At that point you could dip a spoon in and drip a bit into a cold glass of water. Then feel that piece of candy, it should be slightly malleable. If it is rock hard, then there's a good chance you're approaching, or are already at 290-300F.

Back
Top Bottom