Peanut Brittle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
I made peanut brittle for the 1st time lastnight. I was tasty but it was still pretty sticky even after hours, did i do something wrong? what could have caused this? It was very chewy and it stuck to my teeth. I havent had peanut brittle in a looong time and dh said its not supposed to be like that. I didnt have a candy ther so i did the water test. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I think you needed to cook it longer. I'm no good with the water test so I suggest you get a thermometer.

well it`s simply water that`s caused this, either you added a little too much at the start or the air humidity was too high where you let it cool.
I use Sesame oil to start my sugar off instead of water, and a very gentle heat, maple syrup or molasas will work also, but not too much, infact sugar will melt quite nicely on its own with the correct heating and will stay that way for a very long time before it starts to change color and caramelise. I don`t do the water test either, the Cold plate test or the back of a spoon (like you would with Jams) is a little more usefull I find.

I don`t know if that`s of any help to you or not, but it`s most likely the cause :)

as they say in Science "There`s no such thing as a failed experiment, only more data", and it`s doubley good if you can eat your data regardless ;)

Last edited:
I have never made Peanut Brittle before but maybe you used too much water and that is why it was so sticky.

You might have cooked it a little longer. I am just grabing at straws because I have never made it befor.

I think it is a matter of cooking longer mainly-- it is the one candy I don't use a thermometer on. It turns that dark color, add the soda and turn it out. A humid day can also make the candy sticky, but not such that it would stick to your teeth (like caramel--been there, done that "p) !)
The candy thermometers sold in the supermarket aisle for a few dollars are really pretty good--I've had mine for many many years. I use it for toffee but it would also work for the peanut brittle.

thanks everyone for the replys. maybe i did need to cook it longer because when i turned it out it was not dark in color yet, it started turning dark when it started to cool. i'll definately get a thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom