Peanut brittle Spreading question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I have been making peanut brittle for years, When it comes to spreading it I use to spread it on to a bakery size sheet pan that was well buttered. When it starts to cool and I start to break it apart it sticks to the pan. I then purchased a piece marble that worked great, but now as the years have come up I can't handle the marble anymore so the past few years back to the huge sheet pan. and trying to fight with the brittle.

My question is : How would parchment paper that was well buttered work or will i be picking paper off my brittle for hours.

Happy Holidays everyone.

have you considered something like a very large Silpat type silicone mat, it would come right off that.

A cheaper option might be Reynolds non-stick foil.

I remember my Aunt just spreading hers out over her kitchen counter that she spread butter on. And I'm pretty sure it was just a plain old formica(?) counter top, circa a 1970's farmhouse out in the middle of Iowa. LOL Doesn't sound all that appealing to me now ... but we all survived just fine. I can't remember anyones ever matching hers in taste even to this day.

thanks never thought of a silpat Ill have to look into it for next year. Im done baking my candys for this year.

Zereh - funny how they did things back then - my grama did a few odd things.
Maybe it was the formica that gave it that certain taste. lol

Drat. Now I'm craving peanut brittle. And I have a Silpat mat!

Just in case anyone is thinking of doing it, I wouldn't pour peanut brittle onto formica! Formica is a thin sheet held onto an underlayment, and you are liable to bubble the formica with the hot candy!

I use a half sheet pan, buttered, and the peanut brittle does stick until it has cooled somewhat. Be a little more patient, and I bet your brittle will come right off when you turn the sheet over. My recipe has butter in it--does yours?

yes it does, i well butter the pan and if i don't start lifting it around as it cools it sticks like glue, maybe it is the pan as it is an al bakery size sheet pan -
(like 3 cookie sheets in one)I usually able to catch it before it sticks just as it sets I can lift the whole thing and then I flip it overand no problems. been making it for at lieast 30 years same recipe. I usually making at least 8 batches, I get so many request for it and this year I only did 2 as I made a couple new candys instead.

Here is my Recipe to share with all .

Remember when making candy like this - best to put children, pets, husbands or if hubbie cooking wives. out of your work area for safety !!!!

Peanut Brittle
3 cups of domino sugar ( don't use a store brand )
1 1/3 cup water
1 cup corn syrup
Combine and cook Until soft Ball 238 degree :
Then add:
4 cups spanish peanuts
1/2 salt (omit if using salted peanuts)
Continue to cook till 290 degree
Remove from heat and add mixing it in fast :
( have this all measured out ahead of time so much easier)
3tbl butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
Imediately pour onto a well butterd sheet pan

Hints:
1- get yourself a good heavy wooden handle spoon for this. One year I was using a reglar wooden spoon and spreading the thick mixture the spoon broke and my hand went into the hot mixture. Let me just say after running under cool water and as they picked of the peanuts off that were stuck to my hand skin came with it. Wasn't a pretty site!

My recipe is similar, but I take it up to 310, and it never sticks. I don't know if I can afford to make mountains of peanut brittle this year, with the price of peanuts!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom