Preservative for Gummy Candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillB

Assistant Cook
Anyone know what preservative can I use for gummy bear candy? I’m doing gummy candy with juices and they start to go bad after a while. And how much would I add and at what ratio?

The function of a preservative in most candy making is to inhibit mold and bacteria growth.

Are your candies going moldy?

If they're just losing their flavor after a week or two, you need to come up with a better storage medium. I suggest a vacuum seal system. Lots of those available out there for home cooks relatively cheaply.

Nothing you can do to stop oxidization except get them out of the air.

Yes I’m getting mold after only 4 days in one of the batches I’ve made. Its molding in open air and in a zip lock.

As a comparison I made several recipes I found on the web.

What do you mean oxidization? Shrinkage due to water evaporation? That’s a problem I need to work out as well.

Yes I’m getting mold after only 4 days in one of the batches I’ve made. Its molding in open air and in a zip lock.

As a comparison I made several recipes I found on the web.

What do you mean oxidization? Shrinkage due to water evaporation? That’s a problem I need to work out as well.

Oxidation is them being exposed to air and losing flavor/getting hard/etc.

Mold on candy is an extremely rare phenomenon, because usually the sugar and/or acid content is too high to promote such growth.

Best anti-mold agents in candy making are either higher sugar content or the addition of lemon juice to lower the pH.

No need to get into chemical preservatives to keep your gummies yummy! :chef:

Can you make a recommendation? Should I double the sugar?

You might try sprinkling them with corn starch (to keep from sticking together, and freeze them in a zip-lock freezer bag with most of the air squeezed out. Then, each morning take out however much you think you may need for that day.

Back
Top Bottom