Rum Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodeo3829

Assistant Cook
I made a couple of batches of rum balls the other night. I am not really sure how they will turn out. Here is the recipe I followed.

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 cup rum
2 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers

I am just really worried about the texture. The dough was very dry and crumbly. I followed the measurements above to the exact. The heat from my hands made it workable, but it still felt dry.

Also I don't care for c. sugar. One batch I rolled in crushed oreo (cream removed) and the other I tried to roll in coconut, (that failed, it would not stick at all) so I ended up using grainulated sugar.

The are still *curing* so I am not really sure how they will taste, or (truefully) how rum balls are supposed to taste. What should I look for? What makes a good rum ball? I wanted to give these on cookie trays, but don't want to be embarrassed if they are not good.

I roll mine in powdered sugar, I don't like th crunch of granulated.
They may soften up a bit after sitting. I can't say I've ever had a bad rumball though!
Were your chips melted then? I use cocoa powder in mine, I was actually going to make them today myself. I guess if they taste like rum (or whatever you use) they are just fine!

Back
Top Bottom