So here's my idea ... thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Last year for Easter, I made Ina Garten's marshmallow recipe and everyone loved it! After they were cut, they were just rolled in toasted coconut which was tastey but I keep thinking it could be better so here's my idea for this year ...

Split the recipe into 2 pans ...

In the first pan, roll the cut marshmallow in toasted coconut then dip / cover with chocolate.

In the second pan, roll the cut marshmallow in crushed graham crackers then dip / cover with chocolate (I'm imagining it would taste like a s'more). I had toyed with the idea of baking graham crackers and layering them in the bottom but I don't think I'll get as much flavor as rolling them in crumbs.

The one thing I like about the recipe is that you use vanilla for flavor so it's my thought that I could use other flavorings like cherry or almond or you name it instead of the vanilla.

Other ideas? Suggestions?

It all sounds good to me, but, I don't know the recipe. Can you post it?

I found it. Everything you mentioned should work, but, do you think that the chocolate will melt the gelatin base?

Last edited:
Just checked out Ina's recipe - got good reviews, will try this one. Your ideas sound very good --let us know how they turn out !

texasgirl said:
... do you think that the chocolate will melt the gelatin base?

I'm not sure ... My thinking is that either the coconut or the graham will lessen the direct contact between marshmallow and chocolate. Do you think something else would work better? I'm very open to suggestions!

texasgirl said:
Can you post it?

Sorry texasgirl, I should have done this initially ...

Recipes : Toasted Coconut Marshmallows : Food Network

The only difference in mine was that after I cut them out of the pan, I rolled / pressed them into more toasted coconut so the sides were covered as well. They were easier to pick up and eat ...

(edited for spelling ...)

Last edited:
With rolling them in graham or coconut, it might keep the heat from melting it. I'm not experienced with gelatin. It may not even disturb it at all.

If you do not mind, I am going to play with this concept a wee bit as I am all into desserts that have a "stuffing" appeal to them (hence name...lol) If I come up with a way to make this without say, melting my fingers, I'll take photo's and post. Thanks for the great inspiration!! ;)

Results ...

So, I think they turned out alright. Everyone said they were delicious and even though the graham coated ones didn't taste exactly like a s'more, it give me room to play a little more.

Here they are after I dipped them in the chocolate (sorry! i didn't think to take a picture after they were hardened and on my tray!)

(Stand by ... I'm figuring out how to post this *&^%$ picture :rolleyes: )

The ones on the top are coated in graham while the ones in the bottom rows are toasted coconut. The chocolate was a little thick in some places but I was concerned with it [the melted chocolate] being to hot if I got it much thinner. Also, I didn't coat the whole square, as you can see, for two reasons. First, I realized it was thicker and I didn't want the chocolate to over power the other flavors. Second, I needed/wanted a place to hold onto the square just in case it started to melt, I could pull it out quick!

I will certainly try this again and have started to play with other ideas and flavors.

Thanks again to all who offered some advice!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom