Soft Jujube Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcjohnson

Assistant Cook
I tried making soft jujubes today and so far they are still not hard despite being in the freezer for 3 hours.
This is the recipe I used:
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup light corn syrup
6 oz Certo
Fruit Punch flavoring
Red and Yellow food coloring

I combined the sugar, water, light corn syrup, and Certo in a heavy pot and put it to Medium heat. Then I started stirring.
The next part of the recipe was not specific. This is what it said: Cook for 10 minutes until there is no foam. Then add the coloring and flavor.
I cooked it for the first 10 minutes and it was not foaming but did start to boil.
I took it off the heat after 14 minutes and added the flavoring and coloring.
Then I poured the mixture into my molds which I put into the freezer. It's been 3 hours and they are still slightly goey.
I know that in making hard candy I get the mixture to 300 before I take it off the heat, but I wasn't sure if there was a specific temperature I need to get the Soft Jujubes to.
I have just recently started getting into making candy and different chocolate products and I have been having a great time! If any one has any suggestions about what I did wrong, I would definitely appreciate some help!

Thanks!!

I haven't made candy in awhile, but my first guess would be that you didn't let the mixture get hot enough. Maybe it should cook to more of a soft crack stage? Also, did the recipe call for putting it in the freezer? I'm wondering if the moisture of the freezer had anything to do with it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll get more answers soon.:)

Thank you for your response. I don't believe the recipe called for it to be frozen but I figured that was the only way for the candies to get hard. I figured that I didn't cook them to a hot enough temperature either.
I am mostly really interested in making a chewy candy such as gummy bears.
I wonder if there are any other ingredients I am missing.

Back
Top Bottom