Stick of paraffin in Buckeye recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robynhood

Assistant Cook
Stick of paraffin?

Help please;
what is a stick of paraffin? is it the same as sealing wax for preserves?
I have a recipe requiring a stick of paraffin [buckeyes; and I am not sure what they are either but wanted to make some anyway :>))] and stick paraffin is not in our supermarkets. Is there something I could use as a substitute? What does it do?
Thank you in advance and Happy Christmas

I am assuming that you are adding the Wax to melted Chocolate? I think Buckeyes are similar to Peanut Butter Balls, but I am not positive of this.

Either way, I would think an entire stick of Paraffin would be a bit much. It's the same kind of wax that you owuld using for canning.

I prefer to temper my chocolate instead of using wax. But it really comes down to how much time I have.

I hope this helps a little. Once you do find the wax, I would think less than 1/3 would be needed for each bag of Chocolate Chips (If that's what you're adding it to).

Sorry if I am off track to your intent or question..

-Brad

You should find the wax where they keep the canning stuff, like jars and such. It's called Gulf wax.
I use a stick {1/4 lb} with 2 12oz packages of chocolate chips.

robynhood said:
What is a stick of paraffin? is it the same as sealing wax for preserves?

Yes - look for it with the canning supplies - it will probably be called "Gulf Wax".

robynhood said:
I have a recipe requiring a stick of paraffin (buckeyes; and I am not sure what they are either but wanted to make some anyway :>) and stick paraffin is not in our supermarkets.

Buckeyes are chocolate covered peanut butter balls. They get their name from their shape ... resembling the buckeye nut from the state tree of Ohio.

robynhood said:
Is there something I could use as a substitute?

You could temper your chocolate and possibly eleminate the need for the paraffin. It all depends on how you treat the chocolate and the temperatures to which the finished produce will be exposed.

robynhood said:
What does it do?

The pariffin makes the chocolate coating hard and crisp ... but tempering will do something similar. It also raises the melting point of the chocolate coating on the finished product - and can give it a glosssy sheen - something else that you can get with properly tempering the chocolate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom