Traditional Candy Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wify

Assistant Cook
Hello,
I am joining this forum because I love making candy but still feel there is so much more to learn.

I am mainly interested in hard candies and gummies. I have been researching substitutes for corn syrup and gelatin. Therefore I am wondering if you know of any traditional recipes (from other countries than USA).

Anyone have experience with hard candies and gummies without corn syrup or gelatin?

Any ideas?
THANKS!

We used to make a candy call pulled taffy. Haven't made any in years.
Here is the recipe we used (from my mom's recipes)

2 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine first five ingredients in a heavy bottom pot; cook, without stirring, over medium heat just until mixture reaches soft crack stage (270 degrees F.)
Remove from heat.
Stir in the vanilla.
CAUTION! The taffy can burn you, so be extra careful to wait until it is fairly comfortable for you to handle but you can't wait too long or else it will harden. It can be reheated slowly but if you reheat it too much you will end up with caramel.
Pour onto a well-buttered 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.
Let cool to touch; pull candy by stretching and twisting, folding it over from time to time, until light in color and difficult to pull. (Butter hands if candy is sticky.) The more you pull it the lighter in color it will become.
Divide candy in half and pull into a rope, 1 inch in diameter.
Cut taffy into 1 inch pieces and wrap each piece individually in waxed paper.
You can use other flavorings besides vanilla such as peppermint or butterscotch.

Thanks

This is great. I hope to get my husband's arm strength to help!
Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom