Trouble with Homemade caramel, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clangdon1989

Assistant Cook
I followed a recipe for homemade caramel exactly as it was written in the cookbook; 2 1/4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup, 1 cup butter, 1 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla. melt butter, add in corn syrup, sw. cnd. milk, and sugar, cook over medium until it reaches 248F then remove from heat and stir in vanilla. I poured it into a baking pan and let it cool for about an hour. It tastes fantastic but the texture is all wrong.

It isn't somewhat hard like store bought caramels, its like a wet taffy almost. Not to mention its oozing oil from the butter added in. What could I have done wrong or what should I change next time?

Growing up, my mom tried to make homemade caramels every year and the first couple years they always came out runny like that - she just had to switch up the recipe and finally found one that worked. Good luck!

Here is how I do mine.

Pop a good bit of butter/margarine in a pot, add just a bit of milk. Dump in brown sugar, enough so when stirred after the butter just melts, its fairly thick but definitely liquid. Bring up to a boil, boil to a good solid soft ball stage stirring constantly.

Take of the heat and let it stand until it cools enough on bottom its beginning to set. Add some vanilla and quickly stir.
Have a greased bowl/plate/sheet ready. As the mixture is thick but still warm, pour onto/into your container and immediately refrigerate.

When cool and stiff, remove and gently pull a couple of times with buttered fingers. Roll into your small cylinders and cut. Wrap with waxed paper.

This works every time and they just melt in your mouth...

The mother of a friend makes carmel candies to die for. She pulls it like taffy as soon as it is cool enough to handle. Then cuts and wraps.I never did understand what pulling actually did. .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom