What is your favorite candy to make for Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
If this thread has already been done, sorry:)

My sisters and I took up where my mom left off in making candy and cookies to divide between us for Christmas. What is your favorite?
Mine is my fudge

1 cup margarine
5 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups evaporated milk
2 pkg {12 oz} chocolate chips
13oz tub marshmellow creme
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Lightly grease 2 large {about 10x 18"}cookie sheets.
In heavy sauce pan, combine margarine, sugar and milk. Bring mixture to a full boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Turn into pans and spread around evenly. Let cool. Cut into squares.

I haven't tried this one, but, it sounds good.

Pudding Fudge

1 pkg {8 squaares} semi-sweet baking chocolate, divided in half
1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided into 6 Tbls and 2 Tbls.
1/3 cup water
1- 4 oz pkg. of chocolate instant pudding
3 cups powdered sugar

Microwave 4 of the chocolate squares, 6 Tbls. of the butter and water in large bowl on high for 2 minutes or until butter melts. Stir well. Add dry pudding mix and stir until well mixed.
Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Stir until well blended after each cup. Press into foil lined 8 inch pan.
Melt remaining chocolate and 2 Tbls. of butter in microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Spread over pudding mixture. Refrigerate until firm { about 2 hours }
cut into squares.

Peanutbutter cups, I've already posted the recipe on here recently, and hey mudbug, you dont need a thermometer for this recipe! I love fudge too Texasgirl.

too bad you're not in this part of the country, masteraznchefjr! There's a candy shop that makes candy canes while you watch them - the results look like glass! And, they let you taste the freshly made candy - nothing better than a warm piece of peppermint!

I usually make truffles and ALWAYS make fudge...I took a Fudge 101 class at a local speciality market several years ago and make a wide variety...most popular is chocolate with and without nuts...always place some on my cookie trays.

What, noone wants to share but me
9.gif
?
Oh well, I guess I'll forgive you:-p

What i often make are not really a candy but I make chocolate spoons for people to stir thier coffee with. you just melt chocolate. I like to use a nice dark chocolate and often just buy bars of a good one. then melt and dip plastic spoons into it. you can do dark and then when they harden you can then dip them in white chocolate. I often do this at a slant so they look like I wrapped them in white chocolate. you can add flavoring to them. Orange or Almond is nice. I dip the spoon and then I put them on a cookie sheep lined with wax paper or parchment. then let them cool. do this as many times as you need to but your building up the spoon part and so I scrap the back off so only a little is left.

I must say that I dont drink coffee and have eaten a number of these as lollypops LOL you can also wrap them in Celophane and ribbon and give them as hostass gifts this time of year. I was lucky one year and got gold colored plastic spoons nice big ones. I often go for green and red spoons and will start looking for them in Oct. I Have given them to children to suck on as well. I gave one friend a beautiful coffee gift basket one year it had 2 mugs 2 lbs of fancy cofee 1lb of 2 different types. it had 24 chocolate spoons and fancy sugar sticks. You can make them but I don't know how hard they are I bought mine at a store. they are a stick wish crystal candy on the end. I put lots of things to nibble on while having coffee like shortbreads and other cookies. Lots of fun things to do and my chocolate spoons are always a huge Hit. I hope you have a great time making your candy. WE don't eat much candy around the house so I am not sure if I will make spoons this year. But they are so easy to make that if I go somewhere I think they will like them I can always make a batch up.

I made both of these last year and they were SO good!

Chocolate Toffee Bites

2 c sugar
½ c butter
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and caramelize on high heat, stirring constantly. It will turn amber brown in about 5 minutes. When it is a uniform caramel color, add the butter, and stir it in. Once mostly combined, add the chocolate, and stir to blend. Pour it out onto a silpat or parchment-lined sheet pan, and spread it with an offset spatula to 1/8” thick. Let cool and break into small pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Coconut Indulgences
5 oz condensed milk
1 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (14 oz) pkg sweetened flaked coconut
3 c quality semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir well until thoroughly incorporated and smooth. Add the coconut and stir well to combine.

With a tablespoon, scoop out portions of the candy mixture onto a baking sheet. With wet hands, roll the candies into rounds. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hr.

In the to of a double boiler or metal boil set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate chips. Pour the chocolate into a shallow bowl, and, using 2 forks or toothpicks, dip the coconut balls into the chocolate and roll to coat completely. Shake off the excess, and place on a rack set over a baking sheet covered with wax paper. Repeat with the remaining candies and let air dry, or refrigerate to harden.

I have a soft spot for Peanut Brittle. However, my family seems to be addicted to Peanut Butter Fudge. Here are my recipes for both.

Peanut Butter Fudge II
Makes: ~ 4 ½ #

4 c white sugar
one 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 c butter
1 c crunchy peanut butter
One 7 oz jar marshmallow crème

Butter a 9 x 13” baking dish and set aside. Butter a 3 qt saucepan. Place buttered saucepan over medium heat, and combine sugar, evaporated milk and butter within. Heat to between 234 - 240°F (112 - 116°C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and marshmallow crème. Beat vigorously until smooth. Pour quickly into prepared baking dish. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

Peanut Brittle
Yields: 2 #

2 c Sugar
1 c Light corn syrup
1 c Water
1 T Margarine or butter
2 c Peanuts
1 t Vanilla
1 t Baking soda

Generously butter 2 cookies sheets. In large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until candy thermometer reaches hard crack stage (300ºF.), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour onto cookie sheets; spread as thin as possible. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store in airtight container in cool dry place.

AllenMI,

What kind of peanuts do you use for your brittle? Just everyday roasted salted peanuts? I went all over the place last year, trying to find raw, unsalted peanuts that my recipe called for.

Do you have any trouble getting the candy off of the cookie sheets? I spent a fortune for a Silipat for my brittle!

Yours looks so beautifully simple!

Lee

they sell bags of raw peanuts in the shell in the produce section of the grocery stores here...I buy them to have hot roasted peanuts sometimes.

candy

i love to make and my family loves to eat the sweeten condensed milk fudge. recipe is usually on can.

have a recipe for peanut brittle made in micro. easy , fast and great!

babe

too bad you're not in this part of the country, masteraznchefjr! There's a candy shop that makes candy canes while you watch them - the results look like glass! And, they let you taste the freshly made candy - nothing better than a warm piece of peppermint!

we have a place lihat down here called the peppermint palace, where you can watch them make all sorts of candy.

EDIT

never made candy so im gonna try truffles for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom