Why does my honeycomb hurt your teeth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wanda1989

Assistant Cook
Hello, newbie with a cookery question here :)

Whenever I make honeycomb (sponge candy), the texture comes out odd (but the flavour is fine). It binds to your teeth and if you try to remove it using your tongue, it hurts your tongue. :ermm:

The honeycomb mixture also loses a lot of it's aeration between being poured out into the tray and setting. It rises in the tray and then sinks, so that the aerated part is only in the middle of the candy.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Is this likely to be overcooking or undercooking? Colourwise my homemade honeycomb is darker than what you would typically buy in a store - so I'm wondering if the odd texture is just due to overcooking? (But then if I cook it less, won't it sink more during cooling? :unsure:)

I tend not to use a cooking thermometer for making honeycomb and just go on the colour + setting of the mixture. (I own two cookery thermometers and both give different readings, so sometimes it's just easier to judge by looking at the mixture).

Any advice appreciated.

If I can't trust my thermometer for candy making temperatures, I think I would use the hard-ball or hard-crack stage method test (depending on the instructions) to judge if my syrup is the right temperature rather than guessing by the color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom