Chocolate Shell for Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I heard this on the car radio. Sounded intriguing. Public Radio was interviewing some folks from America's Test Kitchen.

To make a flavorful hard chocolate shell for ice cream, as I remember:

Nuke till liquid, 50% power:

4 oz. semisweet chocolate

1/3 cup coconut oil

Stir in:

1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract

1/8 tsp Espresso powder

1 tsp cocoa powder

Pinch salt

Keep in fridge until you get ice cream. Then nuke again till liquid, spoon over ice cream. The coconut oil makes it harden instantly! Beats the heck out of Dairy Queen!

Now I need to get some ice cream.

Last edited:
Sounds like some experimenting would be a worthwhile endeavour. Keep us up to date.

If I had any coconut oil, I would be trying this now.

I found the real recipe! ATK wouldn't let me see it unless I signed up, but I found it under public radio.

I really want to try this. Problem is, when we get ice cream, we eat it. All.

I wonder if it would work with creamed coconut. It gets really hard in the fridge. Have you got a link to that real recipe?

Well, you didn't say if you remembered right.

Not coconut cream, creamed coconut. It's much oilier than coconut cream. If you keep it in the fridge, you can grate it. It comes in a plastic bag inside a small box.

I think it needs to be the oil, though you could try it.

Okay, I did some experimenting. Sort of a "proof of concept". I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, about the same amount of creamed coconut and nuked and stirred. Then I added a few drops of vanilla. I was too lazy to get the step ladder to reach the cocoa and the instant espresso. Heck, I'm not even 100% sure where the instant espresso is. Stirling bought it for migraine emergency.

I tried it on vanilla ice cream immediately and I tried it after it had cooled in the fridge for 30 minutes and got nuked. Didn't really notice a difference. It took about 30-40 seconds to get hard. I will do this again following the recipe, sort of. I'll use liquid espresso, not instant. This was kind of thick and didn't pour as well as I would have liked.

BTW, I started wondering what was the difference between creamed coconut and coconut butter and it seems to be different names for the same stuff. Brits and West Indians call it creamed coconut.

Hmm. Coconut oil apparently will last for years on the counter. I noticed when they say it liquifies at 75°F, it REALLY liquifies! At 70°, it's solid.

Did you nuke it the second time?

I'm gonna try it, following the recipe, though I still don't trust myself around ice cream....

Last edited:
Hmm. Coconut oil apparently will last for years on the counter. I noticed when they say it liquifies at 75°F, it REALLY liquifies! At 70°, it's solid.

Did you nuke it the second time?
Yup. It was solid after 30 minutes in the fridge.

Okay, I did some experimenting. Sort of a "proof of concept". I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, about the same amount of creamed coconut and nuked and stirred. Then I added a few drops of vanilla. I was too lazy to get the step ladder to reach the cocoa and the instant espresso. Heck, I'm not even 100% sure where the instant espresso is. Stirling bought it for migraine emergency.

I tried it on vanilla ice cream immediately and I tried it after it had cooled in the fridge for 30 minutes and got nuked. Didn't really notice a difference. It took about 30-40 seconds to get hard. I will do this again following the recipe, sort of. I'll use liquid espresso, not instant. This was kind of thick and didn't pour as well as I would have liked.

BTW, I started wondering what was the difference between creamed coconut and coconut butter and it seems to be different names for the same stuff. Brits and West Indians call it creamed coconut.

Chocolate chips don't melt as well as bar chocolate - they are made to keep their shape. That could explain the reason why your result was thicker than expected.

I heard this on the car radio. Sounded intriguing. Public Radio was interviewing some folks from America's Test Kitchen.

To make a flavorful hard chocolate shell for ice cream, as I remember:

Nuke till liquid, 50% power:

4 oz. semisweet chocolate

1/3 cup coconut oil

Stir in:

1/4 tsp. Vanilla extract

1/8 tsp Espresso powder

1 tsp cocoa powder

Pinch salt

Keep in fridge until you get ice cream. Then nuke again till liquid, spoon over ice cream. The coconut oil makes it harden instantly! Beats the heck out of Dairy Queen!

Now I need to get some ice cream.

This sounds great! Thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom