How to avoid ice crystals in ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvrBck

Cook
I just got a Kitchenaid ice cream maker attatchment and tried it out for the first time. Everything seemed to go fine except that while the mixture was churning, the texture looked a bit lumpy. It wasn't silky smooth like I imagined it should be. When it was finished, I put it in an airtight container and set it in the freezer to "ripen." The flavor of it is good but the texture is off. It has tiny bits of ice crystals in the ice cream itself. What causes this?

One thing I can think of is that there was too much 'free' water in the mixture and thus was able to form crystals large enough to get the texture you described.

Another thing I can think of is enuring that the container you used is absolutely airtight...

Either the ingredients or the freezing process could be the culprit. What's the recipe you used?

It is essential to use a correct composition of each ingredients, the right balance between the solids, liquid, fat, sugar etc. to attain just the right texture. We have figured out a way to calculate them on a excel chart. If you can tell me which flavour of ice cream you are making, or would like to make, I can figure it out for you... just let me know!

As I usually do, I improvised a little in the recipe. This is what I did:

• 2 C half and half
  • 1/2 C skim milk
scalded, added to

• 8 egg yolks
  • 1 C sugar
Mixed, heated until thick and steaming, added to

• 2 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 C skim milk
  • 2 tbsp instant espresso powder
  • pinch of salt
  • dash of vanilla
I chilled this for 5 hours. I put it in the Kitchenaid attachment and began churning it. Then, I added 2 oz of Kahlua! :angel: Finally, I chucked in some roasted almond chuncks and a couple crumbled up heath bars. I have a feeling that maybe the alcohol decreased the freezing point of the cream mixture because it didn't really get all that solid in the mixer. I used the skim milk in the recipe because it called for 2.5 cups of the half and half and cream but they are sold in 2 cup containers. I didn't think a little milk would hurt.

I whisk lightly it every hour for the first 2-3 hours after putting it to freeze to prevent the ice crystals from forming. Also, the box in which you put the ice cream mixture should have a tight lid.

When making ice cream, I usually chill the prepared mixture overnight in the coldest part of the fridge. Second, the faster you chill and churn it, the smaller the ice crystals. Are you churning at the correct speed?

In order to accomplish this, the ice cream maker also has to be as cold as you can make it. Again, I freeze mine at -10F overnight.

As to the mixture, I use three-quarters heavy cream and one quarter whole milk.

Andy M. said:
When making ice cream, I usually chill the prepared mixture overnight in the coldest part of the fridge. Second, the faster you chill and churn it, the smaller the ice crystals. Are you churning at the correct speed?

In order to accomplish this, the ice cream maker also has to be as cold as you can make it. Again, I freeze mine at -10F overnight.

As to the mixture, I use three-quarters heavy cream and one quarter whole milk.

I set my mixer to the lowest speed per the instructions. I think that I might try lowering the setting in my freezer to get the mixer colder. I will also increase the butterfat content of my recipe and avoid adding anything that may interfere with the freezing process. Thanks for all the tips!

Let us know how it turns out.

I don't have any attachments for my KA mixer. Is the lowest speed the only one allowed for attachments or can you churn at the next speed?

Andy M. said:
Let us know how it turns out.

I don't have any attachments for my KA mixer. Is the lowest speed the only one allowed for attachments or can you churn at the next speed?

I can go as high as I want but the instructions said that the slowest speed should be used. They claim that chill times increase as you churn faster. That's why I set to the lowest setting.

Interesting.

On a Good Eats recently ( a rerun) AB mentioned that a faster churn would encourage faster freezing and therefore result in smaller crystals. Maybe it's different with the KA attachment.

Back
Top Bottom