How would you make this frozen treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm envisioning a puff pastry shaped like chicken cordon bleu, with an inner chocolate coating, and filled with French-Vanilla ice cream, then coated on the outside with another coating of either ice cream chocolate shell coating, or a thin, tempered chocolate, with hazelnut pieces.

How would you get the puff pastry in the correct shape, and coat the inside with chocolate? The ice cream could be softened, and piped into the pastry. And the outside coating would be easy.

Any ideas?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Honestly, I would likely make the pastry over a bowl-shaped metal baking dish and a circular cut-out for the bottom. Then I would freeze the ice cream in the baking dish to ensure it is solid. Invert it on the circular cut-out, and cover with the pastry shell. Freeze all before painting on the chocolate coating and sprinkling on the nuts.

Honestly, I would likely make the pastry over a bowl-shaped metal baking dish and a circular cut-out for the bottom. Then I would freeze the ice cream in the baking dish to ensure it is solid. Invert it on the circular cut-out, and cover with the pastry shell. Freeze all before painting on the chocolate coating and sprinkling on the nuts.

So you're making a bombe rather than a hand pie out ot the puff pasty then. This would also work, maybe better with phyllo dough sheets.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would start with a traditional puff pastry pillow or Napoleon case.

This might be a good place to start.

https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/recipe/puff-pastry-ice-cream-sandwiches/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeEU3-2oX24&ab_channel=PepperidgeFarmPuffPastry

You could also try making a puff pastry horn coating the inside with melted chocolate and piping in softened ice cream just before serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff4...index=190&ab_channel=PepperidgeFarmPuffPastry

Practice, practice, practice!!! :pig::ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I think I'd try to make 2 hemispheres... maybe like I make tostada bowls. Wrap pastry over small half round cup or bowl and wrap tightly in foil and bake on a sheet until it sets. Then remove bowl and turn over to brown inside, then remove foil and turn over to brown outside.

Then coat inside of each with chocolate, let cool, add ice cream, and braze two hemispheres together using chocolate.

I think Scott if on the right track -

Bake your shell into the shape you want. Coat the inside with your melted chocolate. Pipe or spoon to fill with semi-soft ice-cream into it. Freeze hard. Pour melted chocolate over the outside.

Touchy and very like Baked Alaska. Are those made any more? and when was the last time you made one?

Baked Alaska. Are those made any more? and when was the last time you made one?

LOL... FWIW... I am not a big fan of compromising, presentation oriented recipes. Baked Alaska? If you want cake with ice cream, get the cake right and serve it with ice cream and the ganache of your choice (not a big merengue fan).

Beef Wellington? Get the steak right (hard to do with a BW), serve with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, a great pan sauce and amazing garlic bread.

I could go on and on about these things... (while I would order a salmon en croute in a great restaurant, I would never make one at home... instead working on perfectly cooked salmon, sauce, and rolls, bread, or pastry). I just prefer to get every component right, and serve them up so diners can combine them anyway they like for each fork-ful.

To me it is kinda like a taco or burrito. You can make up all of them the way you think they should be, or just put the fixins out there and let everyone throw it together how they prefer.

Well, believe it or not, I CANNOT cook a steak to anybody's liking - even my own. Steaks are the last thing ever on my menu!

But I can certainly do various roasts, a beef wellington or a salmon en-croute with great success! and enjoy doing so.

LOL - I have also never made a Baked Alaska - that is one recipe that I'm pretty sure was invented solely for a presentational WOW factor and not for flavour. I do like merengue, ice cream and cake but this is one time I would just rather take a scoop of each and put it on the plate.

But I have always loved Chocolate Eclairs and one filled with chocolate coated ice cream sound positively yummy. Although when served I would hope the ice-cream would not be too hard.

always loved Chocolate Eclairs and one filled with chocolate coated ice cream sound positively yummy. Although when served I would hope the ice-cream would not be too hard.

I have always been fond of eclairs, but a good pastry cream is A-OK with me. I'd be more concerned about the texture of frozen pastry. You could always flash bake it on a wire rack to crisp it up and soften the ice cream, but if there is chocolate on the outside, that's gonna be a mess. I have done a number of ice cream cakes in my time and they never come out as good as just cake and ice cream.

Why not just form a log of ice cream, sandwich it in (or top it with) a mini baguette of puff pastry topped with a chocolate ganache? Then at least the only thing you can't do ahead of time is assembly (I rarely have the desire to make a dessert right before serving).

Wait a minute... this just in... create an empty eclair that is a little wider than normal. When it comes time to serve, slit the end and create a pocket inside with the knife. Then, slide a Haagen-Daz bar into it! (c;

Back
Top Bottom