Is it possible to make a milkshake without SO MUCH ice cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironpony

Assistant Cook
It seems when it comes to making alcoholic milkshakes particulary, you have to put on a lot. To the point where I feel bloated, even if the shake is not too huge. And I wonder, is it because I have to wait for the ice cream to soften before I scoop it out of the container, and it softens too much?

But if I don't wait, then it's not softened enough to scoop. But I really have to use a lot, just to get the shake thick enough, otherwise it's too soupy. I follow recipes, but I always end up adding more than the recipes, unless the recipes are incorrect?

For example, here is one recipe for an alcoholic milshake:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/white-russian-shake-200659

I only added 1 ounce of each alcohol instead of 2. But I had to put in more like five cups of ice cream instead of 1, just to get it thick enough for the booze. Am I doing something wrong?

Tis recipe - https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-russian-alcoholic-milkshake/ uses about 3 scoops of ice cream per searing. I believe you could simply change the alcohol to make whatever flavor of shake you want.

The author is correct in his assessment of variables. Some ice creams have more air whipped into them, with more premium ice creams having less, making them more dense. So go by weight in your measurements. Also, the ice cream texture is important as to how thick the shake is. Pay attention to those aspects and you should find success.

I don't consume alcohol myself, and so can would not make this. i can't do a test batch. However, the author appears to know what he is doing.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tis recipe - https://ramshacklepantry.com/white-russian-alcoholic-milkshake/ uses about 3 scoops of ice cream per searing. I believe you could simply change the alcohol to make whatever flavor of shake you want.

The author is correct in his assessment of variables. Some ice creams have more air whipped into them, with more premium ice creams having less, making them more dense. So go by weight in your measurements. Also, the ice cream texture is important as to how thick the shake is. Pay attention to those aspects and you should find success.

I don't consume alcohol myself, and so can would not make this. i can't do a test batch. However, the author appears to know what he is doing.

Oh okay, thanks. Well if the author is correct, than why do I need five cups, both times now when I tried? Just because of air in the ice cream?

Oh well I guess that makes sense, but is there a way to mathematically calculate a recipe for air filled ice cream instead then?

Oh well I guess that makes sense, but is there a way to mathematically calculate a recipe for air filled ice cream instead then?
No, because it's a physical process. It's not a matter of how much you use; it's the structure of the ice cream that's the problem.

Oh okay thanks. Well I just feel like I am using so much of it. The ice cream goes a lot faster as a result too.

Could it also be that the blender I am using is too good at liquefying it, and I need a blender that does a lesser job of thinning it out maybe, or one with lower settings?

Last edited:
But the unfrozen batter, would make the milkshake even more thin since batter, is thinner of it's not frozen?

Last edited:
Keep the alcohol you use for these drinks in the freezer (that is always where I keep my gin and vodka). Also (like when making ice or whipped cream), put the blender vessel in the freezer for 20-30 minutes beforehand.

Use HaagenDaz ice cream... it is much firmer/icier than cheaper, chemically stabilized ice cream. You could also add a little ice or frozen fruit to the alcohol(if your blender is up for the challenge), and blend well before adding ice cream.

Oh okay thanks. When you say I can also add a little cream, do you mean different ice cream besides the HaagenDaz?

I didn't say you could also add a little cream. I just said it is common practice to chill everything that comes in contact with the mixture when making ice cream or whipped cream.

Last edited:
Oh okay. Well that kind of ice cream with egg yolks I made in the past, but I didn't like that egg taste though. But maybe if it's just plain vanilla the egg taste might not be as bad, because I tried other kinds with it before, like raspberry and popcorn flavor, and did not like the egg taste.

Again, measure by weight. The cheaper ice creams with more air whipped in will weigh less per unit volume than premium ice creams.

It seems to me that the problem is the structure of the ice cream, not the amount. When there's a lot of air whipped into it, it just can't hold together when liquid is added.

Oh okay, so if there is air in it, then it's still the same amount even if there is more, and I'm not going to put on any more weight, compared to less air filled ice cream?

Oh okay, so if there is air in it, then it's still the same amount even if there is more, and I'm not going to put on any more weight, compared to less air filled ice cream?
I'm trying to say that since there's air in it, it will collapse more easily when mixed with liquid than solid ice cream would. The amount doesn't matter, so you can use as much or as little ice cream as you want.

Back
Top Bottom